Accounting and Financial System Integration (55%)
· Guide Controller in producing timely, accurate monthly consolidated financial statements.
· Oversee payroll for Cambridge and five Latin America and Africa field offices, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws.
· Oversee the successful completion of the annual financial audit and IRS Form 990.
· Leveraging bank operational expertise, lead implementation of new business processes within newly installed Intacct multi-entity, multi-currency financial software. Focus areas include everything from optimizing the basics of bank reconciliations and cost allocation, installing new functionality for notes payable and multi-currency transaction processing, and ensuring these processes and systems leverage industry best practices to deliver accuracy, efficiency and scalability.
· Establish and execute meaningful financial policies and procedures, controls and systems, bringing in best practices from commercial regulated financial institutions to complement the non-profit ones already in place.
· In close coordination with colleagues, implement business processes to enable effective project management of multiple restricted grants.
· Optimize accounting treatment for foreign currency lending and associated hedging, loan participations and other new practices as the organization evolves.
· Review and advise on vendor contracts, ensuring proper procurement practices.
Financial Planning & Analysis (35%)
· Guide FP&A team in determining sophisticated five year financial projections, maintained in Adaptive Planning software. Includes developing a deep understanding of the drivers of our business to enable the VP to provide critical analysis of all aspects of our projections in order to advance the refinement of our business model for the loan portfolios and non-profit activities.
· Establish, in conjunction with Director FP&A, rigorous financial performance analysis to inform strategy and bolster the controls on the accuracy of our Financial Statements.
· Oversee annual budgeting process, including quarterly revisions and regular reporting to Executive Team and Board of Directors.
· Guide Root Capital from a financial perspective as it seeks to determine ROI on various projects and prioritize initiatives.
· In conjunction with Treasurer and SVP F&O, manage cash to ensure proper balance of liquidity and capital utilization. Review portfolio risk as estimated by Global Programs leadership and advise as appropriate to ensure that Root Capital properly identifies and accounts for risk.
· In conjunction with Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, prepare and present presentations to Board of Directors and Executive Team.
Sustainable Trade Fund Spin-off Transition Team (10%)
· Serve as advisor to or member of team that will develop a plan during 2013 to spin off Root Capital’s Sustainable Trade Fund into a wholly-owned “for benefit” LLC.
· Provide inputs on how best to structure the management and administrative fees; assist in determining which staff should be paid from which entity, where portfolio management should reside, etc.
· Build specific systems and processes as needed to enable the spin-off, currently scheduled for 2015.
Other activities as specified by the SVP of Finance & Operations
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work of this position, and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in this role.
Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelors degree in related field; MBA desirable, CPA strongly preferred.
· Minimum 15 years of bank operational experience, ideally in an international financial institution, with demonstrated leadership in a similar role.
· Experience with implementing financial software and optimizing business processes.
· Experience with consolidating multiple sets of books in multiple currencies.
· Experience with spinning off entities or managing a business with management agreements among its entities.
· Experience with bank regulatory regimes, even if prior employment was with a non-regulated financial services organization.
· Detail-oriented accounting skills and deep analytical skills.
· Strong team player with a proactive, service-oriented attitude.
· Willingness to “roll up sleeves” and get work done.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong creative, analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Spanish, Portuguese or French fluency a plus.
· Experience with multilateral NGOs a plus, but not required.
· Good sense of humor.
· Shares Root Capital’s commitment to worldwide poverty alleviation and environmental conservation.
· Must be authorized to work in the US
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org
Applications are due by December 15, 2012. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: email@example.com. Please type “VP Finance” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “VP Finance – Marrero, Marc”). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.