Job Title: MaRS Senior Associate, Outcomes Finance
The MaRS Senior Associate, Outcomes Finance will build on the momentum surrounding
impact investing in Canada and the leadership of the Centre in order to drive the
effective application of outcomes finance models (commonly termed Social Impact
MaRS works with partners to catalyze, accelerate and amplify innovation. We support
entrepreneurs starting and growing global businesses. Together, we are building
Canada’s knowledge economy. The MaRS Centre, a convergence innovation facility, is
located in Toronto’s Discovery District. For more information, please visit
About the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing (CII)
The Centre for Impact Investing is a strategic program of MaRS and a leading national
hub dedicated to advancing impact investing in Canada. The Centre seeks to foster the
effective application of social finance and build awareness by sharing knowledge and
research through platforms like SocialFinance.ca, the Social Venture Exchange (SVX),
and the Canadian B Corp Hub. For more information, please visit
MaRS is searching for an outstanding candidate to join our small, entrepreneurial team
to work on emerging opportunities in the field of impact investing. This person will have
the following attributes and qualifications:
• An interest in innovative financial models that have the ability to significantly influence social change
• A driven, entrepreneurial, and resultsSoriented individual who has the desire to harness a leadership opportunity
• A tactile thinker who understands both the system levers and the practical mechanisms to drive the development of outcomeSfinance/social impact bond models in Ontario/Canada
• An ability to work with stakeholders across a variety of sectors (public, private and nonprofit/community sectors) on financial and social matters
• Logical with strong numeracy skills
• Ability to create and analyze solutions to complex problems
• Experience in transaction structuring, management and completion
• At least five years relevant experience
The Senior Associate is responsible for the following activities:
• Work with partners and Centre staff to execute on outcomes finance/social impact bond projects
• Lead research and analysis to assist investors to deploy capital
• Lead modeling and structuring of potential SIB issues (e.g. health, children and families, aboriginal social development, criminal justice, employment, etc.)
• Assist social sector organizations to create financial solutions to enhance their impact
• Provide thought leadership on outcomeSfinance/social impact bonds through publications, presentations and informal online channels.
• Support the development of tools and services to build the capacity of others to undertake SIB analysis and intermediation
• Contribute to strategy, business, and partnership development to grow MaRS’ leadership in this area
• Other duties as assigned.
This position is based at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Although most of the work will be based in Toronto, there may be some travel required.
This is a full time, salaried position for one year with the possibility for renewal. The Senior Associate reports to the Manager, Social Finance and is supported by other Centre colleagues.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
by December 7th, 2012. MaRS thanks all candidates; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.