Location: San Francisco, CA - SOMA
Position: Kiva Marketing - Online Lender Engagement Intern
Term: 6 Months, 3 days a week
Start Date: January 10th, 2013
Kiva connects millions of people around the world through micro-lending to alleviate poverty. Together with its lenders and Field Partners, the company provides borrowers with the seed capital they need to generate a sustainable income, improve their homes, go to school, and more. So far, this approach has helped Kiva fund more than $363 million in loans for over 887,771 borrowers in more than 66 countries. Today, we're focused on launching Kiva in more countries, and creating loan products that can make a real difference in people's lives.
The purpose of the Community Engagement Intern is to grow Kiva’s existing online communities (i.e. Lending Teams) and translate them to offline events hosted by Kiva’s most active lenders (i.e. Lending Team Captains, Kiva Fellows Alumni, etc.) The Community Engagement Intern is Kiva’s representative to a subset of our community. They will act as the point of contact within Kiva for all Lending Team Captains and will encourage healthy competition amongst the various teams, as one of many vehicles for fostering engagement.
The Community Engagement Internship is a volunteer position with an initial commitment of six-months. The person can volunteer from home part-time, but must be able to come into Kiva’s office at least 15 hours per week, and must be able to attend Kiva’s monthly All-Hands meetings. This position will report to Kiva’s Director of Community Outreach, but will work in coordination with other stakeholders at Kiva to ensure our message is accurate and consistent at all times. They will work most closely with the existing Speakers Program Coordinator to develop the changes outlined below. This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic group of individuals and bring about great change!
- Lending Teams: Act as the Lending Team Liaison; Identifying and engaging Lending Team Captains
- Strategize and create new ideas for engaging lending team captains and increasing new lender growth; reach out to common interest groups to spur community engagement
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between Lending Team Captains
- Maximize captain’s involvement by familiarizing yourself and the captains with the essential Playbook (i.e. Kiva’s Five-Step Guide on How to Grow your Lending Team)
- Post a message every month to top 10 team message boards
- Brainstorm lender recognition strategies (e.g. lender rating system, prizes for lenders)
- Explore the idea of a quarterly newsletter, video, conference call and/or updates to captains: “Messages from COT” (i.e. Community Outreach Team)
- Draft blog posts highlighting the progress and success of lending teams and their captains
- Community Events: Work closely with Team Captains who are interested in hosting Kiva Awareness Events, providing them the resources and support they need to be successful; help captains organize and coordinate these events
- Manage the scheduling of all events on Kiva’s Google calendar; link calendar to Kiva Blog
- Draft blog posts to: 1) promote upcoming events, and 2) share the success of past events with the community
- Create an online photo collage where captains can upload photos from their events
- Strategize and create new ideas for engaging lenders in Awareness Events
- Keep track of events, press, videos, and any materials; Upload to Kiva Wiki
- Finalize Kiva Event Toolkit by getting approval from all relevant stakeholders within Kiva
Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
- BA or equivalent degree required
- Ability to plan, organize, and evaluate tasks at hand as well as foresee upcoming creative - opportunities
- High level internet community knowledge and computer skills
- Great team player — ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a wide variety of people
- Superior organizational skills; excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and speaking skills; disciplined, detail oriented, and accountable
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions individually and /or within a team
- Ability to prioritize, handle a variety of tasks and be self-directed
- Someone with a "ready to help" attitude
- Strong commitment to ethics, honesty, and integrity in conducting business
- Ability to interact effectively with people of other cultures, capacities, and organizations
- Excellent time management skills and a proven track record of managing projects
- Flexibility and the ability to take on projects as they come up
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online person-to-person lending platform.
- Understand the internal workings of a flourishing start-up and non-profit organization
- Gain experience in recruitment, project management, event planning, and more
- Kiva Curriculum classes provide interns with training in microfinance, career development, and Kiva's operations
- Attend brown bag lunches with Kiva staff and influential visiting speakers
- Casual work environment
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Please click here to fill out our application form
- Make sure you have a plain text resume and cover letter available.
- Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.