Location: San Francisco, CA - SOMA
Position: Kiva Development Intern, Foundation and Corporate Grants Specialist
Term: 6 months 3 days a week
Start Date: January 10th, 2013
Kiva connects millions of people around the world through micro-lending to alleviate poverty. Together with its lenders and Field Partners, the company provides borrowers with the seed capital they need to generate a sustainable income, improve their homes, go to school, and more. So far, this approach has helped Kiva fund more than $363 million in loans for over 887,771 borrowers in more than 66 countries. Today, we're focused on launching Kiva in more countries, and creating loan products that can make a real difference in people's lives.
Kiva's Development Team is looking to substantially grow its base of donors that are committed to Kiva’s mission of alleviating global poverty. As the Foundation and Corporate Grant Specialist, you will work closely with the Senior Director of Development to research foundations and corporations that may be interested in supporting Kiva's work. You will also be responsible for assisting two members of the Development Team in formulating pitch decks and other materials, managing grant proposal and report content and the application submission process, and following up with current and prospective supporters as necessary This is an ideal position for someone with grant writing experience looking to volunteer and further their skills with Kiva and learn from Kiva's non-profit social enterprise business model. This is an unpaid internship.
- Research prospective foundations and corporate donors.
- Assist in writing concept papers, grants and reports to foundations and corporations
- Help create and continually refine pitch decks in Powerpoint as well as other supporting documents and materials
- Manage the grant proposal timeline to ensure timely submission of requests.
- Assist in the completion of written communication to donors and maintain ongoing communication with supporters
- Maintain a filing system for grants.
- Provide ongoing general support for the Development Team.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
- Highly organized individual with an aptitude for working in a start-up environment. This means being able to take on multiple projects, work independently, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from high-level responsibilities to tedious tasks.
- Strong research and writing skills are a must.
- Previous grant writing or work in international development.
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online person-to-person lending platform.
- Understand the internal workings of a flourishing start-up and non-profit organization
- Gain experience in recruitment, project management, event planning, and more
- Kiva Curriculum classes provide interns with training in microfinance, career development, and Kiva's operations
- Attend brown bag lunches with Kiva staff and influential visiting speakers
- Casual work environment
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Please click here to fill out our application form: http://volunteerportal.kiva.org/volunteerapplicationform.
- Make sure you have a plain text resume and cover letter available.
- Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.