Location: San Francisco, CA – SOMA
Position: Kiva Expert - Community Support Intern
Term: 6 months, 2-3 days a week
Start Date: January 10th, 2013
Kiva connects millions of people around the world through micro-lending to alleviate poverty. Together with its lenders and Field Partners, the company provides borrowers with the seed capital they need to generate a sustainable income, improve their homes, go to school, and more. So far, this approach has helped Kiva fund more than $363 million in loans for over 887,771 borrowers in more than 66 countries. Today, we're focused on launching Kiva in more countries, and creating loan products that can make a real difference in people's lives.
Each day we receive hundreds of emails and phone calls from lenders, team members, and the general public with questions about Kiva. As a Community Support intern you will become a "Kiva Expert" - learning about the Kiva product and expanding your knowledge of microfinance, technology and nonprofit operations.
This role will be focused on responding to inquiries from our lender community -- everything from basic site usage and project questions, to payment and technical support. You will be the voice of Kiva, working to help resolve issues and provide an understanding voice in the process. You’re an excellent communicator and feel comfortable with writing being your primary mode of communication with lenders. You have an optimistic attitude, approach your projects diligently and with a sense of urgency, and enjoy going the extra mile to make things right and make people happy. This is an unpaid internship.
Core Skills and Experience
- Superior customer service, collaborating to foster transparency and trust
- Working independently as well as in a team
- Communicating simply, elegantly, and effectively (while letting your character shine)
- Problem solving in unconventional ways
- Keeping calm – the glass is always half full
- Bonus points
- Previous experience using Salesforce
- Knowledge of Google applications and wiki
- Video editing experience
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online person-to-person lending platform.
- Understand the internal workings of a flourishing start-up and non-profit organization
- Gain experience in recruitment, project management, event planning, and more
- Kiva Curriculum classes provide interns with training in microfinance, career development, and Kiva's operations
- Attend brown bag lunches with Kiva staff and influential visiting speakers
- Casual work environment
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Please click here to fill out our application form
- Make sure you have a plain text resume and cover letter available.
- Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.