Location: San Francisco, CA - SOMA
Position: Kiva Marketing - Social Media and Blog Intern
Term: 6 Months, 4 days a week
Start Date: January 10th, 2013
Kiva connects millions of people around the world through micro-lending to alleviate poverty. Together with its lenders and Field Partners, the company provides borrowers with the seed capital they need to generate a sustainable income, improve their homes, go to school, and more. So far, this approach has helped Kiva fund more than $363 million in loans for over 887,771 borrowers in more than 66 countries. Today, we're focused on launching Kiva in more countries, and creating loan products that can make a real difference in people's lives.
Are you an avid tweeter? Addicted to Facebook? Constantly blogging? This internship is all about applying those skills to build and engage Kiva’s massive online community. With 460,000 Twitter followers and 160,000 likes on Facebook, Kiva is a major thought-leader in the nonprofit world, getting the word out about the power of microfinance. This internship combines blogging and social media expertise to manage and grow Kiva’s online presence.
- 50% of your time will be spent managing Kiva’s social media channels:
- Manage, engage and grow Kiva’s audience and lender base through social media channels (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr).
- Tap into influential followers/lenders and design campaigns to amplify Kiva’s message.
- Strategize story-telling tactics to strengthen connections between lenders and borrowers.
- Track analytics across channels to demonstrate growth and engagement.
- Address user questions, concerns, and issues via our social media channels.
- 50% of your time will be spent managing and writing for Kiva’s Blog:
- Produce and edit high quality content for the Kiva Blog (kiva.org/updates).
- Work closely with all teams at Kiva to tell stories sources from across the organization.
- Strategize a mix of posts that educate, inspire, and encourage lending.
- Track blog traffic and report insights that could help grow readership.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
- BA or equivalent degree required.
- Has journalism, public relations, technical writing, or editorial experience.
- Has established presences on and experience using social media channels.
- Proficient with Google applications, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Photoshop (preferred).
- Demonstrated interest in data-driven marketing or decision-making.
- Ability to remain organized in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Strong commitment to ethics, honesty, and integrity in conducting business.
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online P2P lending platform.
- Understand the internal workings of a flourishing start-up and non-profit organization
- Gain experience in recruitment, project management, event planning, and more
- Kiva Curriculum classes provide interns with training in microfinance, career development, and Kiva's operations
- Attend brown bag lunches with Kiva staff and influential visiting speakers
- Casual work environment
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Please click here to fill out our application form: http://volunteerportal.kiva.org/volunteerapplicationform.
- Make sure you have a plain text resume and cover letter available.
- Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.