Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital’s mission is to grow rural prosperity by investing in small and growing agricultural businesses that build sustainable livelihoods in Africa and Latin America.
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund that grows rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses.
Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often, thousands of farmers. Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $400 million in credit to over 460 small and growing agricultural businesses.
Root Capital envision a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru and Kenya.
Coordinate online and print publications. Publish and distribute regular newsletters, news announcements and other communications as decided upon by the Communications Team and based on the editorial calendar.
a. Administrator of the Root Capital website content management system and blog platform, including posting, updating and monitoring comments.
b. Write for Root Capital website, blogs and other publications.
c. Coordinate the production of monthly and quarterly Root Capital publications including newsletter, quarterly performance and impact reports, and print collateral meant for distribution to investors, donors, clients and other external stakeholders.
d. Coordinate of Quarterly Performance Report creation, requiring collaboration with all teams at Root Capital.
e. Mange marketing collateral and merchandise inventory, distribution and allocation of costs to appropriate teams. Reprinting and reordering materials as necessary.
· Manage, update and maintain online, social media and blog content. Administrator of Root Capital social media channels and blogs. Support the execution of Root Capital’s online and social media outreach strategies by creating images, slideshows, social media and blog posts.
a. Amplify Root Capital’s brand presence and its role as a thought leader in Impact Investing and Agricultural Finance spheres through social media engagement.
b. Create and post content on all of Root Capital’s social media channels.
c. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to craft annual social media strategy, which is approved by the Communications team.
d. Collect key metrics and report on return on engagement in social media and blogs.
e. Think creatively about how to engage Root Capital’s audiences across our different platforms.
· Coordinate knowledge management processes and systems including internal intranet system, Salesforce, Digital Asset Management and other departmental infrastructure
a. Sole administrator and manager of WebDAM – Root Capital’s internal digital asset management system containing all images, video and other forms of marketing collateral for use in documents meant for investors, donors and other external stakeholders.
b. Developer for Communications intranet portal and responsible for internal collaboration and information sharing systems with other departments.
c. Maintain Communications and Marketing accounts on internal data management platform, Salesforce.
· Coordinate the decentralization of the communication’s team operations.
a. Liaison with regional offices concerning their marketing and communications needs.
b. Collaborate with regional offices to find high quality print and merchandise vendors near regional offices in Africa and Latin America.
c. Oversee communications and marketing pilot projects in the field.
· Coordinate story gathering visits and assist in filming and production of video and other multimedia promotional materials
a. Coordinate travel to developing countries and conduct story gathering client visits in rural areas of Latin America and Africa.
b. Conduct interviews with farmers, business managers and staff members in English and Spanish.
c. Assist in production of videos for storytelling purposes requiring knowledge of video and audio recording equipment for use in the field.
d. Acquire video (b-roll) and photographic assets of clients and their operations, producers, community and environmental impacts and other images to support marketing and communications materials.
· Assist Communications team in writing (blog posts, client profiles, ongoing communications, etc…) and in developing presentations and other materials for conferences and events.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work of this position, and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in this role.
Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Spanish or similar field plus two-four years of related professional experience, or equivalent combination.
· Demonstrated understanding of online communications and social media as a tool for constituency engagement, brand awareness and lead generation
· Knowledge of online content management systems with basic HTML and CSS skills
· Knowledge of video production and editing
· Familiarity with knowledge management systems including Salesforce and online digital asset management systems.
· Experience writing and editing blogs, website articles and similar materials
· Excellent written communication skills with a demonstrated command of grammar, punctuation and style.
· Advanced Spanish writing and conversational skills. Fluency in Spanish is necessary to conduct interviews with clients.
· Demonstrated awareness of international development issues and ability to travel to rural areas of developing countries
· Demonstrated familiarity with agricultural finance, value chain economics and the ‘missing middle’ of rural finance.
· Familiarity with the fields of social enterprise, sustainable agriculture, impact investing and finance.
· Passion for Root Capital’s mission of environmentally and socially responsible investing.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Applications are due by January 31, 2013. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: email@example.com. Please type “Communications Associate” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “Communications Associate – Marrero, Marc”). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.