- Jacaranda Health
- Contact Information
About Jacaranda Health
Jacaranda is designing the future of maternity care in East Africa for the patients who need it most. Our hospitals are changing the way maternal healthcare is provided by developing better ways to provide high-quality, patient-centered maternity care at low cost. Currently, we run two maternity hospitals where we see over 2,000 clients a month, and we are partnering with eight government hospitals to refine a model for improving quality of maternal healthcare in the public sector. Jacaranda is committed to producing high quality evidence and is building its capacity as a center for implementation science research in maternal and newborn health care. We have built strong partnerships conducted rigorous implementation science research with partners such as Harvard University, the Duke Global Health Institute, and UCSF Global Health Sciences.
We have won global and local recognition, including from the Center for Health Market Innovations, the Gates Foundation, Savings Lives at Birth, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our facilities have been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
Please visit www.jacarandahealth.org for more details about our work.
We have big ambitions and need help managing our innovative programs and research. Will you join us and help transform maternal and newborn health care in East Africa?
Scope of work:
The Research and Evaluation Manager will work with world-class academic partners to design, test, and evaluate at scale new models for maternity and newborn health service delivery – in Jacaranda’s facilities as well as in our growing network of public sector partner hospitals. This work will include managing Jacaranda Health’s implementation science research in maternal and newborn health in East Africa.
We seek someone who demonstrates research and M+E excellence, exceptional quantitative analytical and project management skills, and a passion for designing and applying impact evaluation methods to real-world implementation research questions. The scope of work will include providing research study design expertise and overseeing systems for data collection, quality assurance, data analysis, and manuscript preparation; overseeing Jacaranda’s own monitoring and evaluation activities (setting our strategy for evaluating impact and supporting program managers with useful and timely data to improve program performance); and developing novel methods for evaluating impact in our quality improvement partnerships with government hospitals.
- Build systems and standards for impact measurement at Jacaranda, and manage all ongoing program monitoring and impact evaluation of programs and initiatives (including M&E design and overseeing quality data collection conducted by in-house team)
- Analyze, prepare, and disseminate M&E data for practical use by program managers for program improvement, and support development and reporting of key metrics to partners and funders
- Manage a team of M&E Associates & Fellows, including guiding performance objectives, training, and mentorship to all M&E team members
- Coordinate academic research partnerships (including developing a strategic plan for Jacaranda’s research activities, identifying and securing research partnerships, identifying and securing funding for implementation science research)
- Support Jacaranda’s influence in the maternal and child health landscape through publication of academic papers and presentation at conferences
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in public health, statistics, or related field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in quantitative analysis, research and/or monitoring and evaluation, with work experience in East Africa preferred
- Exceptional communication and project management skills – you will be serving as a consultant and liaison with outside research partners and the broader Jacaranda team
- Strong technical ability in evaluative science methodologies, including mixed methods research
- Highly-motivated, results-oriented leader
- Experience developing research protocols for IRB review and managing IRB correspondence and requirements
- Proficiency in quantitative statistical analysis, with demonstrated experience in one or more of these software: Stata, SPSS, SAS, or R
- Passionate about social impact and applying rigorous research methods to real-world challenges and questions