Alterna Business Cultivation Fellowship Opportunity
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- To apply, please send us your CV and a cover letter, including how you heard about Alterna, when you would be able to start, and how much time you would be able to dedicate. Send these to email@example.com. Please include your name in the Subject of the email. We look forward to receiving your application!Website: http://www.alternaimpact.org/
At Alterna we’re looking for bright and talented people to join our Business Cultivation Fellowship Program. Our Fellowship Program offers a unique chance for you to get hands-on experience with advanced stage social entrepreneurs across Central America, and to contribute to an innovative solution to economic development. Business Cultivation Fellows are immersed in the social entrepreneurship community and exit the program with ground experience, working 1:1 with local entrepreneurs in advanced stages of business development.
This program is for professionals with relevant experience eager to take on a new challenge in the field of social entrepreneurship and business management where it matters most. It's the type of hands-on involvement that will allow you to generate a lasting, sustainable impact, while all the time developing your professional skills, learning with, and from, other Alterna fellows and Alterna's senior leaders.
Alterna estimates that 95% of current and potential entrepreneurs in Latin America are underserved by traditional incubator, accelerator and social development programs. Founded in 2010 to catalyze the potential of this “Missing Middle”, Alterna empowers people to create, launch and scale social enterprises that generate positive impact in their communities.
At the core of our model, we serve current and potential entrepreneurs who aim to solve social problems through business. These businesses—commonly known as social enterprises—address the negative effects of these problems, while increasing shared value for entrepreneurs. Our mission is to catalyze transformative entrepreneurship from the ground up, with the goal of creating a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive social impact exists in every context.
PRIMARY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide Guatemalan social entrepreneurs with high-quality business support, creating tools to support their continued development including cost and data analyses; financial forecasts; and, marketing plans focused on generating social and environmental impact
• Work 1:1 with a portfolio of entrepreneurs to consult, guide and help them achieve and assess their strategic goals for development
• Develop, build out and assess social impact strategies for local entrepreneurs looking to have a positive impact in the community.
• Develop Alterna's internal strategy and consulting methodology, helping improve our advanced-stage entrepreneur cultivation program
• Measure and evaluate the social impact of clients' businesses
• Design expansion plans for advanced stage entrepreneurs, conducting market research, risk analyses and cost-benefit analyses with local experts and entrepreneurs
• Assist in the program development to identify, attract and retain new and ongoing relationships and partnerships to source Alterna with highly qualified mentors, fellows, and interns.
• Continuously researching innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship
• A degree in Finance, Economics, Marketing, International Business or Management; Pursuing or hold an MBA or MS in Business, Economics, Marketing and Sales, Organizational Behavior, or Finance is a major advantage
• 3-5 years of professional experience within a multinational organization, consulting firm, corporate entity or similar organization
• Expressed interest in working in the impact investing or social entrepreneurship sector through our Cultivation Program, learning along with us and applying models to help our social businesses achieve lasting results.
• Strong analytical, business judgment and problem-solving skills
• Fluency in Spanish
• 6-10 month commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Professional working proficiency English
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• Proficiency in Office suite
• Knowledge of, and passion for, social entrepreneurship and impact investing
• Solid professional trajectory, ideally in a multinational, consultancy or leading NGO