Alterna Communications & Digital Storytelling Fellowship
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Alterna’s Fellowship Program is a trampoline for professionals who want to be on the frontline of the emerging fourth sector—social entrepreneurship. Our Fellowship Program is designed to bring top talent from the most innovative firms, universities and organizations worldwide to get hands-on experience working with local entrepreneurs who lack access to high-quality business services.
Over the course of 6-10 months, Alterna’s Communications and Digital Storytelling Fellow will work with the Communications team to create and implement storytelling campaigns, supporting the process of incorporating case studies into all communications materials and getting hands-on experience managing a dynamic community of social entrepreneurs and impact investors. You’ll be joining the team at a time of exponential growth, and will have the chance to dive into the process of creating a voice that speaks to entrepreneurs, investors and social impact experts internationally.
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up, and we envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context. Our Communications and Digital Storytelling Fellow will be on the ground from six months to one year contributing directly to that mission, and participating in generating a lasting, sustainable impact. You’ll be a part of a growing Communications team and be responsible for:
– Implementing a communications strategy for Alterna using universal language to communicate across platforms including the organization’s website, social media, marketing campaigns, and other external facing materials
– Producing dynamic and interactive content for our English and Spanish speaking audiences
Supporting Alterna’s website refresh, developing digital content to support Alterna’s interactions with clients, investors, prospective and existing fellows, and the general public
– Supporting the communications strategies for advanced stage social entrepreneurs within Alterna’s network
– Assisting in Cultivation program development to identify, attract and retain new and ongoing relationships and partnerships to source Alterna with highly qualified mentors, fellows, interns
– Coordinating communications and marketing materials for events locally and internationally
– A degree in Marketing, Finance, Economics or Business, substantial experience within an NGO, a multinational, consultancy or similar organization
– 3+ years of professional experience with a multinational, consulting, NGO or international organization
– Prior experience managing websites on a WordPress, Drupal or other hosting platforms
– Prior experience implementing marketing & communication strategies for clients; developing communication materials for diverse audiences (funders, NGOs, governments, think tanks etc)
– Incredibly detail-oriented, with strong project management skills, business judgment and problem-solving experience
– A leader who takes initiatives to solve problems with minimum resources
– Professional working proficiency in Spanish and English
– Supporting social SMEs in the field is not always an easy task. You must be resourceful, flexible and adaptable—ideally, you genuinely enjoy addressing unexpected challenges and have a positive can-do attitude
– Pursuing or hold a M.S or MBA degree in Business, Marketing, Economics, Organizational Behavior, or Finance
– Technology and Social Media expert (CSS, HTML knowledge highly preferred)
– Able to translate concepts and vague ideas into coherent formats
– Experience organizing and leading events
– Awareness of cultural identity, patience and strong sense of empathy
– Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
– Proficiency in Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and/or Illustrator)
– Knowledge of, and passion for, social entrepreneurship and impact investing
– Solid professional trajectory, ideally in a multinational, consultancy or leading NGO
As the first six months of all Fellowship opportunities with Alterna are self-funded by the fellow, committed and passionate individuals are crucial to the success of the program. Fellows serve as our entrepreneurs\’ first impact investors, and our fellows’ investment of their talent and experience ensures that our clients receive the highest quality services. Additionally, Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our fellow pool as our primary source when hiring full-time staff members.
Our Fellowship Program is developed to provide a unique experience; one that currently isn't offered by any organization in the field. Other than allowing fellows to dive right into working on the ground with entrepreneurs, our program provides in-house mentoring from our team of experts, deep immersion in the local context and a career-changing opportunity to leave your mark on an organization in rapid development. Additionally, Alterna invests directly in fellows’ professional experience—during a 6 month fellowship, we promise more than local and international +12 networking events, open access to impact resources, and an office culture that welcomes and encourages each Fellow's innovation
Our fellows invest directly in getting on the ground experience with our entrepreneurs—they never pay Alterna at any point in their Fellowship Experience. After completion of their Fellowship, we connect our fellows to mentors within the Alterna network & continue to provide transitional support as they take their next career move. We add office culture perks to make sure that each fellow fully enjoys the experience working in a international startup.