- Quona Capital
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Quona Capital is recruiting an outstanding individual to join our high performance team to develop and drive our impact and portfolio engagement strategy. The ideal candidate will help create value for Quona’s portfolio companies and operationalize our industry-leading impact assessment activities. This unique role requires a diverse skill set – from analyzing key performance indicators from our portfolio companies to building talent networks of advisors and mentors within the financial technology sector that is inspired by Quona’s mission to radically enhance the reach and quality of financial services to underbanked consumers in emerging markets. The Director of Portfolio Engagement will work collaboratively with the Quona team and its portfolio companies to enhance and measure the breadth, depth and quality of their performance while also communicating these findings to external audiences.
Quona Capital is a venture capital firm focused on financial technology for the unbanked. We back innovators enhancing the quality and availability of financial products and services for underserved consumers and enterprises through business model innovation, smart leveraging of technology, and a passion for making a positive change in the world. Quona is focused on specific markets in Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, leveraging a strategic relationship with Accion, a global leader in financial inclusion.
Quona is the investment manager of the recently launched the Accion Frontier Inclusion Fund (AFIF) and its predecessor fund, Frontier Investments. In addition to Accion, AFIF’s investors include global insurance companies, major investment banks, pension funds, university endowments, a global payments company and leading family offices. Quona brings together a diverse team of investment professionals with deep experience in financial services, technology and entrepreneurship. Our team has lived, worked and built companies in both the emerging markets we serve and the developed economies we seek to connect. Our name connects the markets we serve, just as Quona strives to connect financial services and technology, money and meaning, expertise and empathy.
Quona was launched on the thesis that social and financial performance is inextricably linked. As such, this role will help inform Quona’s investment and value-creation strategy. Key responsibilities Include:
• Implement Quona’s impact framework with current and potential portfolio companies, iteratively improving it in collaboration with our diverse teams and stakeholders, sharing the framework and results with our peer investors and the impact industry.
• Manage the monthly portfolio company KPI collection, analyzing the data, formulating theses, identifying impact and summarizing results in crisp quantitative and qualitative reports.
• Conduct needs assessments, identify and advise on value-enhancing projects for portfolio companies globally. Such services could include a range of advisory relationships (from mentors to embedded engagements).
• Coordinate and help solidify an advisor / mentor network of fintech entrepreneurs, domain experts and technical specialists inspired to leverage their skills to benefit of Quona’s portfolio companies. Tasks include managing contact and budget for external specialists, coordinating travel and meeting logistics and sharing sanitized tools and templates.
• Foster knowledge-exchange between portfolio companies, Quona and the broader Accion organization as well as the industry at large.
• Contribute to thought pieces, blogs, public relations and other modes of information dissemination to maximize demonstration effects, showcase lessons learned and build our brand as a thought leader in the space.
• Liaise with external organisations, networks and research bodies in the impact sector.
• Represent Quona at external events such as conferences, academic institutions and business schools.
These aforementioned activities will be done in close collaborating with the Quona team, Venture Lab (seed stage fintech fund for the unbanked) and other relevant parts of Accion.
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
The role requires skills beyond impressive quantitative, systems and reporting skills. It also requires strong interpersonal skills, such as an ability to inspire and enable senior managers at portfolio companies who are consumed with daily operations, and a capacity to engage diverse communities of investors, impact players and portfolio company board members that extend across multiple continents. Specifically, we are looking for:
• Five to ten years of experience in management consulting, financial services, technology, investing or portfolio management.
• In-depth experience working with financial services and financial inclusion businesses, especially in the fintech space. Strong networks and a strong understanding of lending businesses, data driven credit analysis, digital payments and mobile and broadband connectivity as a driver of financial services are very valuable for this role.
• Strong analytical skills across strategy, finance or marketing functions, as well as experience implementing operating plans, managing projects and delivering results.
• Deep entrepreneurial spirit, hands-on operating experience in emerging markets (or challenging environments) and a passion for market-based solutions to poverty.
• Ability to thrive in can-do, collaborative, fast-moving environments across multiple geographies – with an eagerness to travel internationally, embracing change and a spirit of adventure.
• Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of and influence colleagues, investors, enterprises and other stakeholders.
• Experience living, working or traveling in emerging markets. We particularly welcome candidates from the markets we serve with language skills beyond English.
• Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills across a variety of audiences, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
• MBA or relevant advanced degree is a significant plus.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest and resume to HR@quona.com Please include the name of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the e-mail.