- Flourish Ventures
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Visit us on Bamboo HR.
- Where to Apply
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Flourish is an evergreen fund investing in entrepreneurs whose innovations help people achieve financial health and prosperity. Established in 2019, Flourish is funded by Pam and Pierre Omidyar. Pierre Omidyar is the founder of eBay. Flourish makes impact-oriented investments in challenger banks, personal finance, insurtech, regtech, and other technologies that empower people and foster a fair, more inclusive economy.
Our existing portfolio of $200 million in assets under management has supported the work of pioneering companies that have created entirely new sectors in financial services and elevated the financial standing of millions of individuals, families, and small businesses globally. With a new $300 million commitment from our funders, our global team has the opportunity to expand our portfolio and mission. Our portfolio includes companies working across several geographies and sub-sectors.
Recent US activity includes investments in companies such as Chime, Steady, Propel, Cushion, and Hummingbird and non-profits such as Financial Health Network and FinRegLab, a first of its kind industry-led regulatory sandbox.
By joining Flourish, you will become part of a culturally and geographically diverse team, who strives to be close to the entrepreneurs we support and to understand the people they serve. You will forge partnerships with entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and innovators in policy and regulation to shape a more inclusive global economy.
We are seeking an Associate based in Washington, DC offices of Flourish, reporting primarily to the Director.
You will have these integrated responsibilities:
(1) support new frontiers of investing for the Flourish team globally;
(2) support ecosystem development efforts to deepen Flourish’s impact and influence; and
(3) support existing portfolio of commercial investments and ecosystem development grants.
Your specific responsibilities will include the following:
(1) New frontiers of investing globally
• Evaluate prospective investments: You will assist and, at times, drive diligence of commercial investments in a new company we are considering investing in. Specific tasks will include: financial modeling including return and exit analysis; reference calls; customer calls; addressable market and competitor analysis; talking to experts to get intelligence on technical IP; talking to and building relationships with co-investors and other stakeholders; and preparing investment memos that capture all of that analysis.
• Conduct deep-dive research and develop new thesis areas: You will identify new frontiers of investment areas globally. You could “own” a specific new frontier thesis area. Specific tasks include: conduct periodic sector mapping and landscaping exercises based on internal and external datasets; cultivate and engage industry expertise to develop a wholistic view; participate in conference and related events; prepare detailed analysis in PowerPoint; lead discussions with Flourish’s investment teams.
(2) New ecosystem development efforts to deepen Flourish’s impact and influence
• Evaluate prospective diverse investment types: You will assist and, at times, drive diligence of a diverse range of investments: commercial (including, non-traditional investments, such as underwriting movie production) and non-profit. Specific tasks will include: financial modeling; risk analysis; reference and customer calls; addressable market and competitor analysis; talking to experts to get intelligence on technical IP; talking to and building relationships with co-investors and other stakeholders; and preparing investment memos.
• Deepen ecosystem engagement and the firm’s influence: You will help develop initiatives to deepen the firm’s influence. Specific tasks include: support media partnerships; using data and analysis to encourage media firms to pursue important stories; support engagement with regulators, policy-makers and legislators to advance interventions that promote financial health and economic opportunity; help build our network with diverse and sometimes high-profile external stakeholders.
(3) Support existing portfolio
• Support existing investments both commercial and non-profit: You will help portfolio companies and non-profits succeed. Specific tasks include: helping them make strategic and tactical calls based on data and analysis; facilitating their engagement with Flourish human capital, marcom, legal and other support; connecting them to relevant industry opportunities and expertise; making sure they are engaged with other Flourish investments, where relevant; tracking their performance based on data and agreed KPIs. You might be required to participate in board meetings.
You will be expected to do minimal travel both US domestic and internationally.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
• At least three years of experience, which might include a mix of management consulting, venture capital, strategic roles with US government, investment banking and philanthropy/social impact;
• Experience with evaluating investment opportunities from multiple perspectives (e.g., strategic fit, financial performance, market dynamics, operational capability, valuation);
• Financial modeling skills. Experience with early stage financial models a plus;
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English. Ability to effectively explain strategy and approach to external partners.
• Demonstrated passion for startups and technology;
• Self-starter with “gets things done” attitude, entrepreneurial and ability to work independently, on multiple projects simultaneously;
• Deep intellectual curiosity, appetite for learning and creative problem-solving;
• Direct experience working in the financial services sector, either with the private sector or on policy or equivalent is a plus;
• Experience working in movement building, policy and advocacy, or strategic communications is a plus.
Flourish firmly believes that diversity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.