Associate Director – Business Development
- Husk Power Systems
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
When people have power incredible things happen. Placing ‘power’ in the hands of rural customers helps them realise their aspirations and dreams that they never thought could happen. Making this possible in every village is at the heart of everything we do.
Husk is one of the world’s leading rural utilities. We provide reliable power to households and businesses, entirely from renewable energy sources – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – at a price they can afford.
We design, build, own and operate the lowest cost hybrid power plant and distribution network in India and Africa. We offer our customers a flexible ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy service, using a mobile-enabled smart metering system. We provide low-cost energy that matches the growing needs of our customers; for households, community services and productive uses. Our grid-compatible solution can be rolled out quickly and cost effectively to support national electrification plans.
To date, Husk has provided electricity to 15,000 homes and businesses in rural India and Tanzania, reducing 95,000 tonnes of CO2. Our aim is to provide 30MW of power to 225,000 customers by 2020, and save 350,000 tonnes of CO2 each year.
Established in 2008, Husk pioneered an off-grid power generation and distribution solution to serve rural customers in Bihar, India. Husk was the first company to use 100% biomass gasification from rice husk to generate 6-7 hours of electricity for households and small businesses.
In the first five years, we grew to reach 10,000 customers, and in the process learned that rural customers wanted more than just access to power at night. They wanted “on-demand” reliable power – night and day – to meet all their energy needs that ranged from LEDs, to refrigerators, to welding machines.
By understanding how rural customers aspired to use power, we developed an energy solution that gave them the freedom and flexibility they desired. In 2014, we pioneered a hybrid system that could generate 24/7 power by synchronizing solar and biomass gasification power plants. This innovative system reduced battery storage requirements by 75% resulting in cost savings of more than 30%.
Our solar-biomass hybrid power plants is the lowest cost solution that can deliver 24/7 alternative current (AC) power to households and commercial customers such as welding machine shops, telecom towers, rice and flour mills. By bringing AC power to rural communities we are giving customers the opportunity to plug in any off-the-shelf appliances like TVs, refrigerators, and welding machines.
- Enable Husk to become the world’s leading off-grid energy company
- Help bring 24/7 renewable, reliable and affordable power to 5 million people
- Track competitive landscape, market trends and spot opportunities to inform Husk growth
and risk management planning
- Live and Breathe Product to intimately understand the value of our Products. You will use these values to recommend the best product and service for illuminating people’s homes. At the end, you will convert a doubter into a very satisfied customer.
- Talk to thousands of customers to focus on the right strategies and thus you will recommend the most competitive, context-appropriate sales & marketing models.
- Champion growth through great marketing initiatives: master the intersection between the value of the product and the prospective user, tie sales strategies to profit, and optimise constantly.
- Dream of our customer base and constantly strive to make them our biggest sales enablers to ultimately exponentially grow our sales pipeline.
- Lead and manage strategic corporate partnerships across value chain
- Deliver thought leadership articles/white papers to raise awareness and branding
- Drive aggressive yet sustainable growth: build sales pipeline, expand market share of products, formulate a strategy to deploy 100 hybrids mini-grids in 24 months…
- Leader with a high degree of customer orientation: achieve a high level of customer satisfaction, recruit sales and marketing executives, lead negotiations on long term contracts and agreements with key partners…
- Fund raising, partnerships and Government Relations: develop partnerships with NGOs, MPs, FBOs and businesses, drive the grant writing process to secure grants from rural energy agency; development partners and DFIs…
- Cross-functional strategic planning: build executable business plan with business development heads in India, develop processes to monitor execution of strategy in identifiable and measurable parameters, engage with functional heads frequently to ensure execution of strategic plan…
- Thought Leadership and Communication: participate as a panelist and speaker at global conferences to drive Husk brand, influence policy makers by engaging with them directly and by writing white papers…