Associate Editor – NextBillion.net
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Job Type
- Contact Information
- WDI HR Generalist Jill Elliott, email@example.com
NextBillion.net (NB) is a leading online community hyper-focused on business-based solutions to poverty and is an affiliate of the William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan (WDI). NB publishes insightful articles, aggregates news items, posts jobs listings and hosts an expansive calendar of events, all dedicated to harnessing enterprise and investment knowledge and practices to improve the lives of those living in low- and middle-income countries. The successful candidate will work closely with contributors from many different backgrounds, including business, nonprofit/NGO, educational and governmental sectors to develop compelling and informative content tailored to practitioners. This position will also assist NextBillion in spreading editorial content to a social media community of more than 90,000, design and layout of articles, creating multi-media content, and shaping NextBillion’s editorial focus.
This full-time job is based in our Ann Arbor, Michigan office.
- Work closely with writers and organizations involved in various sectors NB covers to source, edit and publish blog content
- Aggregate, curate and publish relevant news, jobs and calendar items using WordPress
- Write original feature stories, analysis articles and question/answer posts
- Produce web layout and design of articles, including editing of photos, embedding videos and other multi-media assets
- Conduct interviews using digital audio and video production tools
- Promote NB content on various social media platforms
- Attend events related to NB’s coverage areas, providing editorial coverage
- Assist other NB editors with copy editing and fact-checking articles
- Engage in discussions, research and strategy sessions aimed at measuring and maximizing the site’s traffic, financial sustainability and impact
- Assist in maintaining NB’s home page and high traffic pages, helping to identify and address any issues that arise in site content or functionality
- Perform other duties as assigned
CANDIDATES WHO APPLY WILL HAVE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism/communication, or business or economic development
- Minimum two years of successful experience in editing or writing either in journalism or new media, and/or in corporate/nonprofit communications capacities
- Strong editing and writing skills, including basic copy editing and demonstrated fact checking abilities
- Background in or ability to work in basic web-based CMS platforms, particularly WordPress
- Basic proficiency with photo editing tools and software, including Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator or equivalent
- Ability to develop articles with writers/bloggers and communications staff from various enterprises, financial institutions and non-governmental organizations
- Background in media and publishing, as well as social entrepreneurship and/or strong interest in enterprises and policies focused on market-based poverty solutions for developing countries
- Experience with managing social media applications (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to three times a year for conference and/or event coverage; may require working some evenings and/or weekends (not to exceed 5% of work hours)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States. (NOTE: This job does not qualify for H-1B classification.)
ADDITIONALLY, OUR “IDEAL” CANDIDATE MIGHT HAVE:
- Expertise in Google Analytics and/or Google AdWords
- Expertise or proficiency in video editing using FinalCut Pro
- Experience in audio recording and editing using software (e.g., GarageBand) for use in a podcast
- Travel experience to emerging markets is a plus
- Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus
A BIT ABOUT WDI:
WDI is a non-profit research and educational institute established in 1992 as an affiliate of the University of Michigan (UM). We will celebrate our 25th year in 2017. WDI is the only institution of higher learning in the United States that is fully dedicated to understanding and promoting actionable business and public policy approaches to addressing the challenges and opportunities in emerging market economies. This position will be based in our lovely, newly-remodeled office space occupying the first floor of Sam Wyly Hall (located at the Ross School of Business on UM’s Central Campus) at the corner of East University Avenue and Hill Street.
WHY WORK AT WDI?
We invite you to visit our website (and NextBillion.net) to learn more about WDI. Our 35+ employees are diverse and educated professionals who share a common focus and desire to make a positive impact on the world beyond the local reach. WDI leadership believes our employees are our most valuable resource, and promote the recognition and celebration of both individual and group successes on a regular basis. We have an “Open Door” policy to encourage employees to voice suggestions about making WDI an even better place to work. WDI is an EOE.
This full-time position will offer the successful candidate a salary commensurate with relevant work experience as well as a competitive benefits package which as of this posting includes:
- 403(b) retirement plan with 2-to-1 WDI contributions (via TIAA and/or Fidelity)
- Three group health insurance plans from which to choose, each with Rx rider (BCBS/BCN)
- Dental insurance (Delta PPO plan)
- Group Term Life insurance with employee premiums paid for by WDI (Mutual of Omaha)
- Short-Term/Long-Term Disability (premiums paid for by WDI)
- Vision insurance (VSP)
- Employee Assistance Program (confidential 24/7 phone access & online resources)
- Optional participation in either a Flexible Spending Account or a Health Savings Account
- Vacation Pay – accrue twelve (12) hours per month
- Sick Pay – receive a bank annually at the beginning of each fiscal year
- Holiday Pay & 4 Seasonal Days – WDI is closed New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day (& the Friday after), 12/25 as well as the weekdays between 12/25 and 1/1. WDI also provides one floating, personal holiday.
ABOUT THIS RECRUITING EFFORT:
We wish to fill this dynamic position starting Monday, 6/12/2017, but this date is somewhat negotiable. We will review applications as they are received, and may conduct screen interviews without delay. You may apply for this opening as long as the posting appears on this website; it will be removed once we have a signed offer from our candidate of choice.
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? HERE’S HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants who meet the listed qualifications should click HERE to learn more and to apply.