- I-DEV International
- Lima, Peru
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ABOUT I-DEV INTERNATIONAL: I-DEV International (www.idevinternational.com) is a global strategy and investment advisory firm with offices in Lima (Peru), San Francisco (USA) and Nairobi (Kenya) committed to unlocking the unique insights, innovation and investment needed to build and scale high-impact businesses around the world. We advise on private sector strengthening initiatives and directly support SMEs (Small Medium Sized Enterprises) in their Seed through Series C rounds to become regional and international leaders. By building these leading businesses and a stronger private sector, we are creating jobs, bolstering local economies, and reducing stressors that drive conflict. I-DEV has worked in over 10 sectors to create game changing impact; however, core areas of expertise include Mobile/Internet Technology, Clean Energy, Sustainable Agriculture, and Emerging Markets Supply Chains.
Founded in 2009, I-DEV has become known as “a unique combination of grassroots development, hard-nosed business and savvy 2.0 smarts”. We have built a network of clients and partners that includes 100+ emerging market and impact investment funds (with over $10 billion in combined committed capital), Fortune 500 corporations, high impact SMEs, and leading foundations and development organizations.
I-DEV LATIN AMERICA SAMPLE ENGAGEMENTS: Recent work managed by our Peru office:
• Investment strategy, due diligence and capacity building support for a leading global conservation organization seeking to attract private sector investment to the Amazon
• Strategy and recommendations on supply chain improvements via strategic CSR initiatives for a leading European exotic fruits and vegetables company and their local Peruvian supplier
• Strategy and implementation support to pilot new models for last mile distribution of clean energy products to remote low-income regions
• Research and recommendations to strengthen the digital technology (e/m-commerce) ecosystem in Latin America
• Investment advisory and capital raise support for a leading global clean energy company seeking Series C funding
POSITION DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES: Associate Fellows in I-DEV’s Latin America regional headquarters work directly with I-DEV’s local and global teams, as well as have frequent and direct exposure to I-DEV Partners on active assignments. Associate Fellows will work directly with both the Insight & Strategy and Investment Advisory Groups, gaining broad exposure to emerging market investment, impact investing and international development sectors. Associate Fellows will be paired on assignments based on interest, existing live engagements and expressed interests upon joining the team. In some cases, Associate Fellows will have an opportunity to travel for projects throughout the region and globally.
I-DEV takes pride in our Fellowship program and the immersion experience that Associate Fellows undergo – our Associate Fellows are treated as full-time Associates during their 6-month engagement, and also receive on-boarding training and support to make sure their time is well spent with us. Associate Fellows may (in special cases) be considered for a permanent position with I-DEV after completion of the Fellowship; and I-DEV will help all Associate Fellows to consider and connect with others in our network regarding a next career move.
QUALIFICATIONS & SELECTION CRITERIA: At I-DEV, we seek to hire and train the next emerging markets and global leaders focused on high-impact business solutions, and to share critical insights developed through our work. We seek world travelers, adventurers and game changers who believe anything is possible and that we can make it happen. Our teams are lean, yet not afraid to go above and beyond or get our hands dirty to uncover the best solutions for our clients.
Core qualifications for Associate Fellows:
• Minimum of 2 years experience in management consulting and/or venture capital, private equity or impact investing
• Comfort working independently and in an entrepreneurial, start up environment
• Proficient in financial modeling and cost/benefit analysis
• Strong critical thinking skills, and ability to think out-of-the-box to develop innovative solutions
• Previous experience and comfort with client-facing interactions, such as compiling and presenting recommendations in PowerPoint and/or leading client meetings
• Strong history of team collaboration and effective internal/external communications
• Fluency or high-level proficiency in Spanish
• BA, BS or equivalent undergraduate degree; graduate degree in finance or business a plus
You may be a perfect fit, if these also describe you…
• Independent, proactive and comfortable asking the hard questions
• Creative in identifying cost-effective solutions to any challenge
• Adventurous, open-minded and ready to learn
• Humble in collaboration and bold in ideas and brainstorms because you believe nothing is impossible, and understand that partnerships and buy-in are often critical
• Passionate about problem solving and emerging markets development
• Believe that businesses- social enterprise or not- can create powerful change in emerging markets, and that long-term financial stability and growth of any business is a critical first step to creating meaningful social and environmental impact
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: During the Fellowship Period of six (6) months, the Associate Fellows will be given reasonable compensation for accommodations, meals and transportation around Lima, Peru. I-DEV will additionally provide for medical insurance, and cover the cost of work-related travel or event attendance during the Fellowship period.
HOW TO APPLY: If this sounds like a good fit, please send your CV and responses to the following application questions:
1. Why are you interested to work in Latin America? What are the unique opportunities you see and hope to explore in the region while with I-DEV? (Max. 200 words)
2. What are 2-3 interesting initiatives, programs, investments or trends you are excited about? Why are you excited and what do you believe could be the long term potential? This question is designed to test your big picture thinking and general understanding of the sector, so go ahead and be creative and specific with your answer (Max. 200 words)
3. If we were to speak with your colleagues and previous supervisors, what are 3 words they\’d use to describe you? What are 1-2 examples of how you leveraged these traits or strengths to create value for you something important? (Max. 200 words)
Responses should be sent to email@example.com with Subject Title: “Latin America Associate Fellowship 2016.”
The rolling application process begins immediately.