- Marigold Capital
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Marigold Capital (marigold-capital.com) is seeking two (2) contract-based Associates as it begins to expand its impact investing service offerings. The successful candidates will be instrumental in the development of the firm’s client facing work, marketing and business development efforts, financial/investment capacities and its overall operations. Associates will report to Jonathan Hera, Marigold’s Founder and Managing Partner.
Priority will be given to Toronto-based candidates, and we welcome applications from those outside of Toronto as well.
We are looking for hardworking, professional, personable, and conscientious citizens of the world.
SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES ACROSS ASSOCIATES
Marketing and Reporting:
• Develop operational marketing plan
• Collateral update and development (soft and hard copy)
• Copy writing and editing, including website, blogs and newsletters
• Social media management
• Quarterly report generation
• Support management in reporting to stakeholders
• Potential client research
• Lead generation log development and management
• Presentation material development
• Stakeholder engagement
• RFP drafts
• Budget development
Marigold-specific Investment Preparation:
• Landscape, sector, market and competitor research
• Lead generation and deal flow cultivation, including outreach and CRM development/management
• Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about Marigold
• Analyze investment opportunities
• Prepare scorecards/information memos on synthetic investment opportunities
• Create demonstration portfolio
• Develop portfolio level and deal level financial and impact metrics
• Develop monitoring system for companies/entrepreneurs in synthetic demonstration portfolio
• Create quarterly reporting system for synthetic demonstration portfolio
Marigold-specific Financial Modelling, Management and Reporting:
• Update and create financial models for prospective funds
• Develop portfolio management/trend analysis tools
• Develop investor reporting systems for personalized investor information
Existing Client Work:
• Project management, focused on highest quality deliverables
• Research (market, customer, landscape, regulatory)
• Theory of change, investment strategy and thesis formation
• Client specific lead generation and deal flow cultivation
• Stakeholder engagement (communications, presentation materials)
• Governance planning
• Deal structuring; portfolio construction and management planning
• Monitoring and reporting planning (including impact)
• Special project: business model and plan development with implementation support
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS MOST HIGHLY SOUGHT ACROSS ASSOCIATES
Marigold understands candidates may not have qualifications and expertise in all areas listed. While we expect candidates to have expertise in more than one area, we welcome applications from those who do not have all aspects sought. We are looking for the following:
• Proven track record in impact investing and portfolio management, with a focus on analytical and modelling capabilities
• Experience across the entire investment cycle, inclusive of investor relations, deal structuring and term sheets
• Experience in venture capital/private equity, corporate finance, investment banking, legal, management consulting
• Project management experience
• Fundraising experience, with existing and relevant network
• Ability to see forest for the trees, then describe to others
• Clear written and verbal communication skills, inclusive of copy writing and editing, investment memos and reports, and ability to network
• Cross-cutting themes/sectors of interest and experience: gender; financial inclusion; mental, sexual and reproductive health; supply chain/responsible procurement; fashion; food security; education
• Previous work in for-profit, non-profit and government roles
• Lived, studied, worked in a variety of countries and contexts
• Basic familiarity with cloud solutions
• Entrepreneurial mindset; self-starter, organized, detail-oriented and highly motivated
• Pertinent combination of undergraduate degree, graduate degree and professional designations
We will hire Associates who want to apply themselves in using finance as a key tool for social change. The persons will be comfortable working and prioritizing independently and within small teams.
We will work with those who fall seven times and stand up eight. Who continuously seek, inwardly and outwardly. Who can put their feet in another’s shoes. Who is humble. Who can dance (metaphorically or literally). To Marigold, who you are is more important than what you can do.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
To be negotiated with applicants, based on their availability. Health and dental coverage is not included. Associates may take unpaid time off during the term with notice to and approval from Marigold. We will do our utmost to support the professional development of our Associates.
Marigold Capital would like its Associates to be available to work virtually and remotely, while being available for weekly in-person meetings at minimum.
We are ideally looking for a start date of November 6, 2017.
We expect to hold a minimum three (3) month contract with the successful candidates, which may be renewed or converted to longer term arrangements, if of mutual interest to both parties.
As a fiduciary of Marigold Capital, we expect our Associates to devote their time and attention allocated to Marigold and exert their best efforts, knowledge, skills and energy to their performance. We value creativity, integrity and honesty in equitable fashion with all our stakeholders, and these will be integrated into how our Associates perform their duties.
If you’re interested, please submit a covering letter and CV to us via email with the title “Associate” to: email@example.com no later than October 9, 2017. We will move forward with preferred candidates on a rolling basis.
If you’d like to know more about Marigold Capital and these positions, send your questions our way!
Marigold Capital is an impact investing and venture philanthropy advisory and placement firm. Specializing in private market investments, Marigold’s Founder and Managing Partner is a leader in using finance as a tool for social change to help catalyze a more prosperous and equitable society.
As a thought partner, Marigold supports investors with impact investing strategy and process planning. We are also building the capacity to support investors as an outsourced investment manager and as a provider of pooled asset/fund products.
As impact investors ourselves, Marigold believes in the power of using transparent models of selection, processes, financial instruments and portfolio management. We know that greater intentionality and discipline throughout the investment cycle leads to better processes, systems, people and results.
We believe there are appropriate times for all types of capital use. Aligning the needs, goals, use of proceeds, timing and interests of funders and entrepreneurs is of utmost importance.
Most uniquely, Marigold uses a gender lens with its investment approach, as one of many intersectional social lenses used across its investment analyses, to uncover and capitalize hidden issues and value across an organization’s supply and value chains.