- Konchur, India
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Do you have passion to tackle some of the biggest problems facing humanity? Do you have the ability to think out of the box when working in very tough conditions? Do you have willingness to give your all and not be constrained by your skill set because your main responsibility is to be able to get the job done? Can you deal with the pressure of thousands of hopeful eyes who are relying on you to deliver and perform for their well-being?
Well, if your answer to the above is yes, then we are looking for you to join our small but growing team of passionate change makers. billionBricks is a Singapore based non-profit design and innovation studio which is expanding its team in India and looking for a self-motivated individual to lead its efforts.
billionBricks (bB) envisions a world with no homeless and where everyone has access to opportunities for economic and social upliftment. We design and provide shelter and infrastructure solutions for the homeless and vulnerable, with solutions that are innovative, scalable and sustainable, creating opportunities for communities to emerge out of poverty.
Our approach empowers communities to replicate solutions on their own, and reduce dependencies on support, creating ownership and pride, and unlocking their untapped potential for change. Since our founding in 2013, we have rehabilitated more than 1,000 homeless and disaster-displaced people in India, Cambodia, and Nepal.
About the Projects
As Senior Project Officer (India), your primary role will be to strategically lead our efforts to develop Konchur, a highly impoverished village of 500 families in North Karnataka into a ‘model village,’ and as a pilot amongst the next 200 villages which will replicate the model across the Taluka.
In the present day scenario, a large number of people are migrating from villages to the nearby cities in search of work, livelihood and a better quality of life. In order to reduce population pressure in cities, it is important to improve opportunities and incentives in rural areas. Our efforts to develop Konchur is our attempt towards this direction. billionBricks believes that a strong vision, clear planning strategy and stakeholder resourcefulness can help transform rural areas. And we will look up to you to realise this vision on the ground.
billionBricks envisions to empower Konchur to turn into a Sustainable Model Village (Adarsh Gram) for New India by initiating strategic interventions and investments that are self-scalable by the community. Specifically, bB is developing Konchur within five areas of intervention:
1. Water and Sanitation
4. Jobs creation in Agriculture
5. Community Mobilization and Spiritual Motivation
Currently, the project has been conceptualized and the first phase which involves the construction of 150 toilets to make Konchur an open defecation free village is underway. bB’s partners on this project include Habitat for Humanity India, ArchitectureBRIO, Selavip Foundation and the local government.
In addition, 25% of your time will be spent to support bB’s efforts for:
1. winterHYDE is a life-saving fully insulated, lightweight emergency kit that protects the homeless and disaster-displaced from extreme weather. The pilot was launched in January 2016, and is currently being used by urban homeless families in Delhi, India.
2. UrbanX is a concept programme to support India\’s vision of Housing for All by 2022.
As the Senior Project Officer, you will work directly with the CEO and be accountable for the conceptualization, execution and implementation of bB’s work in India. Key responsibilities will be:
- To devise a strategic development and action plan to guide the organisation’s work;
- To lead efforts to implement the strategic development plan through support from the organisation, community mobilization, government partnerships and strategic relationships with private institutions and funders;
- To mobilize community members to identify priority projects that will address their underlying vulnerabilities and needs, discuss project objectives, encourage participation, and act as a mentor throughout the planning and implementation process;
- To advocate for change, ensuring acceptance and ownership of interventions among community members;
- To seek out funding and creative synergies with private institutions and foundations;
- To build and foster strong working relationships and partnerships with local government groups and strategic partners;
- To liaise and build on-ground teams to successfully execute and implement the project.
You will be based in either Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, or Mumbai, and will have the ability to work independently and remotely while on the move. bB does not operate a fixed office space, and its team members are savvy in using technology to stay connected and to work efficiently from their homes or in the field.
You will be self- motivated, available to travel at short notice (up to 50% travel) and will carry the responsibility to make your own decisions to deliver impact. We expect a high level of interpersonal skills in dealing with community members, government officials and corporate leaders. We also expect your communication skills to be highly developed, and that you would have proven yourself with leadership and management skills.
Other qualifications include:
- An Advanced Degree, required;
- At least five years work experience in project management or managing operational systems, and/or establishing relationships among various stakeholders;
- Experience related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of projects, managing data and reporting;
- Proven ability to lead complex projects with a diverse range of partners;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Fluent in spoken and written English, required; Fluent in Kannada, highly preferred.
Send in applications no later than the 15th of July 2016. Interviews will be held on an ongoing basis, and the expected starting date is 1st August 2016.
Interested candidates are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Link to LinkedIn profile or copy of 1-page CV
• Written motivation in 250 words or less
• Salary expectation