Business Cultivation Fellowship
- Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Full-time, fellowship, unpaid
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Business Cultivation Fellows support Alterna’s permanent team in the “cultivation” process targeted at entrepreneurs and businesses of various sectors and development stages, supporting them in creating and strengthening their business and impact models. Your specific responsibilities will be tailored to fit your profile and can include:
• Preparing and facilitating business training workshops using Alterna’s methodology, advising and following up with entrepreneurs.
• Co-designing strategic expansion plans for entrepreneurs, conducting market research, risk evaluations and cost-benefit analyses with local experts and entrepreneurs.
• Evaluating and reinforcing Alterna’s tiered cultivation methodology, helping to adjust and improve our cultivation program based on prior experience and that gained while participating in the fellowship.
• Analyzing social impact strategies and helping entrepreneurs to expand and measure their impact.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• 1 – 7 years of professional experience as an entrepreneur, a consultant or working at an organization.
• A degree in Finance, Economics, Marketing, International Business or Management – holding a Master degree is a plus.
• Professional working proficiency in both Spanish and English (verbal and writing).
• Proficiency in Office suite; basic design tools.
• Awareness of cultural identity, patience and strong sense of empathy.
• Strong analytical, critical and business judgment, problem-solving skills and outside the box thinking.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, being able to communicate with different kind of interlocutors.
• Flexibility, ability to work autonomously and proactively.
• Contextual understanding and appreciation for the difficulties and rewards of working in a developing context.
• 6 – 10 month commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow and that Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our fellow pool as our primary source when hiring for long-term paid positions. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, you will get the unique opportunity to:
• Gain real world exposure to innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship, including key contextual insights on what the entrepreneurial process consists of in Central America.
• Connect with key actors in the social entrepreneurship field through Alterna’s network and open and expand your career trajectory.
• Work with an international team of young and passionate professionals.
• Be immersed in the vibrancy of Guatemalan culture.
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you bring a sense of humor and contagious energy we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellows Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna is committed to developing an inclusive and dynamic ecosystem for social entrepreneurship through the cultivation of impact businesses offering training, consulting and connections to entrepreneurs who need it to grow their business and impact.
Alterna’s Fellowship Program is a unique distinction and a trampoline for talented young professionals who are strongly motivated in disrupting the status quo and developing sustainable solutions for the world throughout their career. Through a hands-on experience working with social entrepreneurs in an innovative and growing organization, Alterna Fellows develop a strong skillset, network and motivation to become the next impact leaders that the world needs.