Business Development and Communications Associate
- Karachi, Pakistan
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen Pakistan seeks a dynamic Business Development and Communications Associate who will help us amplify Acumen’s impact and influence in Pakistan; we are looking for someone who can help us catalyze the social innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem in Pakistan, drive fundraising and showcase Acumen’s work across investing, leadership and ideas in Pakistan and around the world.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. An example would be investing in companies providing off grid solar solutions for low income consumers. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001 and headquartered in New York, Acumen has invested more than $97 million in 90 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies. For more information please visit our website: www.acumen.org
Acumen in Pakistan
Acumen has been investing in Pakistan since 2002 and established Acumen Pakistan (formerly Acumen Fund Pakistan) in 2006, as a local non-profit entity. We currently have over $16 million in committed investments in Pakistan and an additional $3 million in pipeline investments currently in various stages of due diligence. The office is staffed with a full-time team of professionals with prior backgrounds in social enterprise, corporate and investment banking, and business and strategy consulting. We have a strong Advisory Board and partner community consisting of senior business leaders. The Pakistan team is supported by Acumen\’s global portfolio team as well as business and development professionals in Pakistan who provide investment management advice through the year.
Acumen believes that poverty will be primarily eliminated through investing in innovative companies that will make energy, education, healthcare and agriculture available and affordable to the poor in Pakistan. We believe that catalyzing the early stage social innovation ecosystem will accelerate the emergence of social enterprises, thus providing greater opportunities for the poor to live with dignity and prosperity.
Acumen Pakistan has spent the last decade building a community of donors, investors and academic institutions around social impact. We are now uniquely placed to set up a large social impact investment fund. Our priority is to swiftly move towards implementation of the strategy to create significant change in Acumen’s impact in Pakistan.
As Business Development and Communications Associate, you will be a key member of the Pakistan team, reporting to the Associate Director for Business Development, Communications and Talent Management. You will work closely across all business functions with visibility into Acumen’s entire business in Pakistan. Your role requires creativity, energy and the ability to exercise influence without direct authority, both within and outside Acumen. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with Associate Director for Business Development to develop and implement a fundraising strategy for Acumen Pakistan.
- Work closely with Associate Director for Communications to develop and implement a communications strategy for Acumen Pakistan. Serve as a communications resource for high priority investee companies and Global Fellows in Pakistan.
- Work with global BD to create a movement around social impact in Pakistan. This would involve putting together local and global success stories showcasing Acumen’s work, community building around ideas, establishing ourselves as thought leaders, by leveraging mass media and social media, participation in conferences and seminars, blog posts, press releases etc.
- Prepare a concept paper/pitch deck and engage with local and global funders to meet the fundraising targets for the Acumen Pakistan Social Impact Fund.
- Work with Program Manager to integrate communications plan with ecosystem development strategy
- Identify and cultivate relationships with thought leaders, media contacts and publications that lead to strategic local press for Acumen.
- Collaborate with team to prepare quarterly management updates to be shared with MC/Advisors. Prepare and manage updated decks for all external meetings & presentations.
Qualifications & Experience
- Passionate about Social Impact in emerging markets, and in particular innovative entrepreneurial solutions to development challenges. An understanding of the Pakistan development context is preferred.
- Education: Bachelors (Required) in Business Administration, Finance, Management, Economics, marketing or communications.
- 3-5 years of experience in fundraising, marketing, sales, business development or communications.
- Fluency in both English and Urdu
Additional Characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Good operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting.
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience.