Business Development Associate
- Sustainable Health Enterprises
- New York, NY
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Tenacity is what this organization was built on, and we’re looking for a confident, organized, and resilient person who wants to join a fast-paced, professional work environment. As the Business Development Associate, you will work with the Director of Marketing and Strategic Partnerships to diversify funding sources, and develop and implement an effective fund development strategy.
This position requires a real go-getter willing to roll up your sleeves. You thrill in checking off tasks off the to-do list and helps keep the team on track by staying five steps ahead of deadlines and funding opportunities. You are incredibly curious and demonstrate a propensity to learn more and improve your skills. Finally, you must have a great sense of humor – and be ready and willing to talk about taboo health issues!
If you are ready to join our small team and work with us to find innovation and new market solutions in the unlikeliest of places, then we want to meet you. See details below on how to apply today.
Funder Communications (50%)
- Produce high-quality short, medium and longform copy for fundraising campaigns.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to showcase SHE’s work and impact. This includes collaborating with the SHE Rwanda team to develop content for quarterly newsletters and fundraising campaigns; identifying opportunities to advance SHE’s thought leadership in the media or at conferences; preparing written materials as needed for multiple funder audiences including but not limited to, pitch decks, blog posts, press releases, social media assets, and email announcements .
- Identify opportunities for improvement and innovation; provide direct feedback and recommendations.
Funder Outreach and Relationship Management (50%)
- Perform and manage all the back-end work for our business development including grant and prospect research, data entry and tracking of deadlines in Salesforce and other CRM tools, and follow-ups.
- Assist with prioritizing development leads with Director & CEO
- Develop and improve existing development team systems and processes.
- Draft grant proposals and reporting requirements
- Identify new funding opportunities, execute due diligence and present opportunities to Director
- Get to know and build relationships with SHE’s global network of funders and partners.
Who You Are
- You have at least 2 years’ of cross-cultural work experience, preferably in the communications, international development or social enterprise field.
- You have outstanding communication skills, including proven experience in making a complex subject matter accessible to a broader audience.
- You are comfortable tackling problems head-on and adapting to shifting priorities, working individually and within a team, and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are comfortable presenting new ideas and explaining your decisions.
- You have a high degree of proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong commitment to SHE’s mission, and an enthusiasm for building new development capacity initiatives to sustain SHE’s growth.
- You approach obstacles with a sense of humor.
- You have passions outside of work and contribute to your community.
Desired, but not required
- At least 2 years of experience in fundraising, marketing, sales, or business development.
- You have experience with Google Adwords and Google Analytics, and are constantly thinking of ways to measure the ROI of anything you do.
- You have experience with Salesforce or another CRM tool.
- You have experience with website technology (WordPress experience is a plus), social tools, and email marketing tools and resources.
Why You Should Join Us
Sustainable Health Enterprises, or SHE, is an innovative, international and growing social venture. Our first initiative, SHE28, is a campaign that is addressing women and girls’ lack of access to affordable menstrual pads. SHE has been featured in The New York Times, NPR, and PBS Newshour.
As a member of the SHE Team, you will be sharing an office with the Director of Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, and be part of a larger co-working space and community that offers free food, free coffee, free beer, and plenty of cubby holes to go into when you need some quiet time. Skype will become your best friend as you work with our Rwandan colleagues on new ways to tell stories of impact and business wins to our SHE community of investors, volunteers, and champions.
Pop Quiz Time
Tell us one fundraising campaign you’ve been most impressed with and why. Why, and what are they doing differently? Let us know in your top pick in the body of your email.
How to Apply
For consideration, applicants must include:
- a resume
- and a writing sample that shows off your ability to simplify a complex subject matter
- your pop quiz response.
To apply, please email email@example.com and include your resume and a writing sample as attachments. The subject line should read: “Application: SHE Business Development Associate.” The body of the email should include:
- Your earliest start date
- Your pop quiz response – feel free to include links to videos or articles to support your case.
- 1-2 paragraphs summarizing your relevant experience, your interest in the position and how this position would contribute to your short or long-term career goals.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by the SHE team. Unfortunately, SHE may not have the capacity to answer candidates’ questions until they are short-listed and contacted.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
Start Date: October 2016
Salary: $45,000-$55,000 including health benefits
Sustainable Health Enterprises (SHE), an innovative social enterprise group, is hiring for a Business Development Associate to be based in our NYC office. What started with a blender in testing different raw materials like banana fiber, is now a burgeoning social business, increasing the health, wealth, education, and dignity across the value chain in East Africa. We’ve been recognized by Harvard Business School, Echoing Green and President Bill Clinton, and you can learn more about us online – check out our video that brings to life our work: youtube.com/watch?v=EKmt7PwYPCY