Business Development Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Location: Phnom Penh, with travel to Vietnam and internationally
Report to: Regional Program Manager
Closing: September 30, 2015
WaterSHED is seeking a passionate, driven individual who will share our dream of building sustainable markets for essential water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services and make significant contributions to the organization.
The Business Development Associate (BDA) is a new position that will serve as a key member of our external relations team. S/he will lead business development, build partnerships, manage grant opportunities and support external communications. S/he will coordinate grant-funded activities and support strategy development for our Incubation and Innovation stream.
ABOUT WaterSHED :
WaterSHED is a dynamic organization based in Cambodia on the leading edge of market-based approaches in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH). Our mission is to engage local enterprises and government to develop sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene markets and empower households to be active and informed consumers of WASH products and services.
WaterSHED pioneered the Hands-Off model of private sector engagement, enabling the sale of more than 125,000 unsubsidized household latrines to rural consumers. We developed a cutting-edge leadership program to engage local government in market-building activities, designed and launched the world’s first handwashing device manufactured for Base-of-Pyramid consumers, and incubated two leading social enterprises in household water treatment. Key focus areas include:
- WASH supply chain development
- Consumer demand generation
- Enterprise finance & consumer purchase finance
Leadership & Empowerment
- Civic Champions leadership development
- Women’s Empowerment in WASH
Incubation & Innovation
- Product design
- Incubation of leading WASH social enterprises in Southeast Asia
In order to take our initiatives to the next level for massive, multi-country impact, we are working to diversify our sources of grant funding for Market Development and Leadership & Empowermentprograms among foundations, bilateral donors, multilaterals, private institutions, NGOs, and corporate partners).
In parallel, we are establishing relationships with investors motivated by the opportunities in ourIncubation and Innovation portfolio. This portfolio includes the launch of an affordable latrine shelter for mass-market distribution (http://www.watershedasia.org/why-shelters-matter); and the commercial marketing of a household handwashing device – the first of its kind in the world (www.happytap.net).
Key to success in this role will be an ability to plan strategically and communicate concisely in order to engage relevant external partners. The BDA will set quarterly and annual development goals, identify new funding opportunities across diverse networks, and report progress to WaterSHED’s leadership team. Overall duties will include:
- Identifying strategic funding opportunities. The Business Development Associate will select and profile key opportunities, coordinate necessary inputs, and craft highly tailored applications and investor pitches. S/he will be comfortable driving results in a fast-changing environment.
- Understanding and championing WaterSHED’s market-based philosophy. The best candidates will have a keen business acumen and ability to communicate the rational of our market-based approaches. S/he will be able to a deliver a compelling business case for our activities and investments.
- Putting it into words. Success in this role will hinge on the candidate’s ability to communicate across a broad set of audiences spanning the water, sanitation, hygiene, design, affordable housing, behavior change, gender, public health, microfinance, livelihoods, and entrepreneurship sectors. We require a gifted communicator who prides him or herself on the ability to write and verbally present new ideas – ideally with a past portfolio that showcases this talent.
- Growing a career. The Business Development Associate will be working at the leading edge of WASH and social enterprise – planning the future direction of our businesses. S/he will be excited and motivated by the career advancement potential within WaterSHED, and will be willing to go all-in.
WaterSHED is a small organization of less than 100 employees. Due to the nature of a small team, the BDA will be expected to take on additional responsibilities over time, including program design and project management.
- University degree in Business, Economics or International Development
- Experience building long-term relationships and networking with senior investment professionals in the private sector
- Exceptional communication skills; powerful writer and public speaker
- Ability to write clear and compelling pitches and proposals
- Entrepreneurial mindset with an interest in market solutions to water, sanitation and hygiene
- Ability to manage time, multitask, and meet strict deadlines
- Highly motivated and positive attitude
- Fluency in English
Experience in developing fundraising and relationship-building strategies, and implementing them
Who are you?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work. If you learn quickly, are down to earth, have a sense of humor and want to help those around you grow, you will be welcome at WaterSHED. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about-us
We are looking for people who appreciate the objectives and values of WaterSHED, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty and trustworthiness are essential.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send an email with the subject “Business Development Associate” to email@example.com. The application must include:
- Cover letter
- Links to samples from portfolio of previous work
Please do not send copies of certificates or documentation in addition to the above.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.