Business Development Fellow
- Alterna Impact
- Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
ALTERNA\’S FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The bridge between your aspirations and their realization.
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up. We envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context, and have worked with over 1,000 entrepreneurs to date to help strengthen and scale the region’s most disruptive and high-impact businesses.
Our talent is the key to achieving our mission. The Alterna Fellowship is a multi-dimensional program that will give you a renowned edge in your career trajectory and a seat at the frontline of social innovation. Through a comprehensive, hands-on experience with an organization that is pioneering the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector, Alterna fellows gain the critical skills, contextual insights and connection to a global network to advance their careers and catalyze impact.
Alterna is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the Business Development team and support Alterna’s high growth trajectory as it leads the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Central America and beyond.
This Fellow will be an integral part of the team responsible for identifying and developing new market opportunities and strategic alliances that enable Alterna to expand its services and initiatives to address sector challenges and social and environmental needs. The Fellow will generate a lasting and sustainable impact on Alterna and on the region by leading critical research and analysis and driving high-impact projects with national and international partners.
This Fellow will be a part of the cohort joining Alterna on August 6, 2018, with a minimum 8-month commitment.
A. Sector prioritization and opportunities research & report
* Research & develop a comprehensive market intelligence on compelling new growth opportunities for Alterna. Details of the project include:
* Market research on a variety of relevant sectors in Central America to better understand in which Alterna should prioritize running a Cultivation (acceleration) program for social entrepreneurs in the region
* Relevant topics for research include: analysis of the trends, innovations, gaps, and economic potential by sector; unaddressed social and environmental needs and opportunities to generate social innovation; cross-sector intersections and compelling opportunities for entrepreneurship and impact investing; opportunities for financing and partnerships
* Dynamic and hands-on research techniques and strategies: in addition to online research, the project will require primary interviews with relevant actors, in this region or beyond; observation at sector events and activities of the ecosystem; analysis of what works and doesn’t work in other sectors and regions; and more
* Over the course of the Fellowship, the Fellow will develop a comprehensive report that identifies and characterizes high-impact growth opportunities in prioritized sectors, including: identification of prioritized sectors and why; recommendations for market entry; identification of relevant social enterprises in the sector; identification of relevant actors and the development of a database of contacts for strategic partnerships
B. Support the Business Development team in the execution of its principal activities, such as:
* Identification of and preparation for new strategic partnerships to strengthen and diversify Alterna’s network, program sponsors, and allies (development organizations, government agencies, sectoral or entrepreneurial programs), including:
* Support the launch of new Cultivation programs in sectors such as eco-tourism and health
* Participation in a variety of sector events, such as:
– FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2018 that brings together over 500 international and regional actors in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
– Alterna’s Cultivation program in the eco-tourism sector, that consists of observing an intensive 5-day retreat with high-potential social entrepreneurs to help strengthen and grow their businesses
– Negotiation meetings with potential new strategic partners (when relevant)
– Regular sector events and meetings with partners (when relevant) such as ANDE (Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs), Pronacom (Programa Nacional de Competitividad Guatemala), and GIF (Guatemala Innovation Forum)
– Any relevant events identified by the Fellow him/herself
Please note that the Fellow will work closely with the Business Development Director and supporting team members to execute and receive feedback and support on defined activities.
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
* Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
* Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
* Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
* Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
* Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of Alterna
* Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences
Key areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
* Professional experience (ideally 2-5 years) in related career, such as Public Policy, Consulting, Market Research, Economic Analysis and more
* Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study, such as Economics, International Relations, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, and more; Masters Degree highly valued
* Excellent Spanish and English language skills, both written and verbal
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
* Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector is highly desired
Key personal skills and abilities include:
* Demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-drive with strong skills in team collaboration
* Detail-oriented and well-organized, with demonstrated abilities in project management and multitasking
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges
* Humility, empathy and cultural sensitivity
* A sense of humor and contagious energy
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you like to have fun while you work we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellow Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/
Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section on our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/
Have a question that you couldn\’t find there? Email a member of our team at email@example.com.