Business Development Lead
- Amani Institute
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please read the job description here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VwxvyNqOo7v3hcBo0gbE7eoIUH_rnGcI/view?usp=sharing) and then submit your application form here - https://forms.gle/2Mrca42HSAhJ2u897
- Where to Apply
- Application form available here - https://forms.gle/2Mrca42HSAhJ2u897
Amani Institute in India seeks an exceptional, experienced, self-directed individual with at least 7-10 years professional experience (including in the social sector), experience in business development, and a demonstrated passion for social impact. The Business Development Lead will build on their organization’s momentum and impact to date; they’ve been a stable and profitable organization right from year 1 of otheir operations, and are now poised to scale their impact across the country. They invite you to apply to join them and support building the organization’s long-term business growth.
About Amani Institute
Amani Institute is a global organization whose mission is developing professionals who create social impact with their careers. They create this impact via innovative models of higher education that help individuals acquire the practical skills, personal growth, and global networks to take on modern day social challenges.
Their core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs in Kenya, Brazil, and India. As of 2019, this program has enrolled 546 Fellows from 65 countries. This program won the Ashoka U – Cordes award for Innovation in Higher Education in 2017 and has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, the Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, and Vanity Fair, among others.
In 2017, Amani Institute launched a leadership program for Small and Growing Business (SGBs) managers in Kenya, called Leadership for Growth. This program also launched in India in 2019, and as of last year, over 150 managers from 57 companies had enrolled in the program; these companies grew revenue by 20% on average and cumulatively raised several million dollars of investment after participating. In 2019, this program won the Argidius-ANDE Talent Challenge, a 1 million Euro grant to scale the program from Nairobi to East Africa, India and Brazil to train 1000+ managers from 150 companies by 2023.
In response to the varying development needs of organizations, Amani Institute also works with institutions across the globe to develop tailored interventions. They have worked on 160+ custom-designed leadership and management programs in 5 continents across the world for 100+ organizations including UNICEF, Ashoka, Vodafone, Deloitte, Georgetown University, USAID’s Young African Leaders Initiative, CARE, and Oxfam. In India, some of their key clients include the University of Chicago, the US Consulate General in Chennai, UN Women in Afghanistan, Rockefeller Foundation, the National Health Authority, Nilekani Philanthropies and Upaya Social Ventures, to name a few.
They currently train over 1000 changemakers each year through their varied mix of both global and local programs, and bring thousands more to their events on 21st century careers, the future of work, and social innovation.
Today, Amani Institute primarily operates from Nairobi (Kenya), São Paulo (Brazil) and Bengaluru (India), with a staff of 20 people with deep prior experience in the business, education, media, and social sectors. In addition, they are supported by a faculty roster of over 50 global leaders at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace co-laureate.
Their work is systemic and catalytic in that by building much-needed capacity in organizations leading social impact, they enable more effective operations across the field of social change globally.
About the Position
Amani Institute in India is 3 years old and has built a stable foundation for its operations in the country, with a mix of both global and local programs running. The growth of the organization has been organic so far, mainly driven by word of mouth. They are now at a pivotal point, ready to spread their impact across the country and scale their programs across sectors.
The core purpose of this role is to drive Amani Institute’s impact in India and beyond, by identifying and developing new business opportunities, and expanding the presence of the organization and its current brand. You will work with the India Country Director and will be responsible for implementing the responsibilities below.
Overall Strategic Management:
● Co-develop and implement the long-term strategic plan to grow Amani Institute in India and achieve the organization’s mission, in line with the larger vision ● Lead outreach for new and existing programs and other offers, to ensure continual innovation and relevance to the needs of their audiences ● Co-create, manage and achieve the annual revenue budget of the organization ● Research emerging trends, identify business opportunities and recommend new organizational offerings in line with those ● Demonstrate fidelity to the organization’s culture and values in words and deeds
Partnership Building & Fundraising:
● Drive increased business opportunities for the organization, particularly with regard to Custom-Training Programs and the Leadership for Growth program. ● Build and maintain partnerships with current and future stakeholders, such as Amani Fellows, clients (NGOs, foundations, and universities), and other network partners ● Be at the frontline of recruitment for prospective Amani Fellows and/or participants in other programs through in-person meetings with individuals and CEOs of organizations/companies and answer their questions about their programs ● Promote and represent the organization nationally and internationally at conferences and events, to increase the organization’s visibility and reputation ● Prepare all documentation required for requests for proposals (RFPs) ● Lead fundraising efforts as necessary
Candidate Requirements Personal Qualities:
● Demonstrated passion for making social impact ● Evidence of being a doer – strong work ethic and self-accountability, and high emphasis on excellence ● Strong interpersonal communication skills, with a high degree of empathy ● Independent, flexible and comfortable driving results in a fast-changing environment ● Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one ● Belief in the importance of lifelong learning and continuous development of self and team members ● Resonance with the core values of Amani Institute
● Minimum 7-10 years of professional experience ● Strong background in business development and/or fundraising, ideally in the field of social impact ● Demonstrated ability to harness networks for collaboration and resource mobilization, through building and maintaining positive relationships with external stakeholders and partners ● Strong background in shaping a business development strategy ● Experience in brand strengthening and visibility ● Excellent written and oral communication skills in English ● Undergraduate degree in any field
You would be a good fit with their organizational culture if: ● You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential ● You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your responsibility” or not ● You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life ● You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth ● You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
● Location: This position could be based anywhere in India, but frequent trips to Bengaluru could be required ● Duration: This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 2 years with the initial contract ● Preferred Start Date: March 2021 ● Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience for a social enterprise/non-profit organization