Business Development Manager
- Fairtrade America
- Contact Information
At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change. Fairtrade America’s mission is to connect disadvantaged producers and consumers, promote fairer trading conditions and support producers to combat poverty, strengthen their position and take more control over their lives. We ensure U.S. companies comply with the Fairtrade Standards to use the Fairtrade Mark, the most trusted ethical product label that stands for better prices for farmers and is backed by strict standards to protect the environment and worker’s rights. We build public and civil society support for policies and practices that create conditions where farmers can build economic and political power and challenge the way trade is conducted.
The Business Development Manager will oversee client needs and will assist the Business Development Team in supporting the organization’s mission.
- Oversee the development and growth of new business engagement with Fairtrade and develop and maintain effective key account relationships with brand partners and engaged retailers
- Ensure the growth of Fairtrade market access through directing and managing business development activities delivered in accordance with the organizational strategy
- Work with counterparts in the global Fairtrade system to develop new product categories and distribution strategies
- Provide marketing support to ensure client engagement opportunities for promotion and marketing
- Build awareness and understanding of Fairtrade by educating potential and existing clients of the Fairtrade system through presentations, trade show attendance, public speaking opportunities
- Ensure proper communication flow among Fairtrade system partners to ensure best outcomes (in particular with colleagues at Fairtrade Canada and Fairtrade International)
- Seek to alleviate obstacles to positive business growth in the USA
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Executive Director
- Sales or Marketing degree or a related Business degree
- 5 years of progressive experience in mid to large consumer packaged goods companies or retail companies that included business development activities and a robust network in this industry
- Demonstrated track record of business/revenue growth and new client capture
- Demonstrated success creating and implementing business development strategies, along with a thorough understanding of commercial markets and direct experience working with consumer products companies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including external executive and C-level
- Understanding of supply chains
- Project Management experience
- Knowledge of Customer Relations Management databases
- Working knowledge and understanding of certification systems
- Travel may be required on weekends and holidays, as well as some international travel
- Inter-departmental communication (Certification, Communications, Marketing, Finance) to ensure effective & consistent communication throughout departments and to clientele
- Ensuring that their Supervisor is consulted, kept advised and well informed on all financial and contractual matters
- Meeting other duties as assigned and mutually-agreed upon goals
- Experience working within retail sector or industry sectors such as textiles, cosmetics, or mining is considered an asset
- Customer centric in approach
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Results driven approach
- Strong analytical and relationship building skills
- Incorporate use of market research services/tools in the identification of business opportunities
- Experience in developing short-term and long-term business capture plans
- High personal integrity, honesty
- High interpersonal and priority management skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Spanish is considered an asset
Salary is commensurate with experience. Fairtrade America offers a strong benefits package.
To apply send salary expectations, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.