Business Development Manager
- Living Goods
- San Francisco, CA
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
In the last two years Living Goods rapidly scaled our impact and size to reach almost seven million people across East Africa. We are on a rapid growth trajectory and our path to success requires changing the way local governments, the biggest non-governmental organizations, and public and private funders plan, finance, and deliver community health. To make this a reality, Living Goods will need to raise an ambitious level of funds.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to innovate and test new ideas every day. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. If you work well in a dynamic, collaborative culture, if you set high standards, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods.
We are seeking a highly capable and motivated Business Development Manager to serve as a key member of our fundraising team.
You will be responsible for
identifying, cultivating, and engaging a wide range of stakeholders to join us on our journey, with a focus on foundations and corporate donors. This role is about more than just securing financial support— we are looking for an individual who can develop opportunities to maximize our impact. This means experimenting with new fundraising strategies or mechanisms, developing key partnerships, and transforming the way we engage across our team and with our community of supporters. The Business Development Manager will be instrumental in helping the organization scale its impact. The position will report to the Deputy Director of Development and will also work closely with other fundraising team members and country staff. This position can be location in San Francisco, CA or Washington, D.C.
You will thrive in this role if….
You understand how to pick up on nuances, adjust your messaging, and craft the right story win hearts and minds. You are just as comfortable communicating with a small family foundation as you are with a large corporate donor, and you understand how to employ different strategies for different audiences. You have a keen eye for finding the overlap between organizational priorities and funders’ interests and know how to align them to create mutually beneficial partnerships.
You know how to manage up, down, and sideways to coordinate winning proposals. You drive proposal processes forward by anticipating next steps, getting the information and input you need, and keeping everyone on track to meet the deadline. Importantly, you are always looking for ways to improve the proposal writing process to be even more efficient and effective.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions to obstacles. You can juggle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritizing.
You want to learn and grow with us. You actively seek feedback and are adept at integrating it into your work. You’re excited to take on new projects and learn new skills and always have an eye out for professional development opportunities. Living Goods is an organization quickly growing and changing where opportunities for growth and advancement are available to those who excel. We plan to expand our business development team over the next few years and are looking for someone who is interested in building a career with the organization in the long term.
* Support the Director of Business Development and Deputy Director of Business Development to develop and execute strategies to meet Living Goods annual funding targets.
* Help build a significant pipeline of well-aligned funders who can support Living Goods mission and funding strategy—with a focus on foundations and corporate donors who can give $100,000+ per year—and support outreach.
* Coordinate the creation of proposals, liaising between our finance, leadership, and country technical teams to create well-crafted, winning concept notes and funding proposals.
* Ensure that the CDO, Director of Business Development, and Deputy Director of Business Development are poised to steward and enhance relationships with core funders to maintain and grow their support. In time, take ownership over a growing portfolio of donor relationships.
* Liaise with the grant writer and communications team to create and update partner communications and collateral.
* Manage grant reporting requirements. Draft reports when needed and work closely with the grant writer, finance, M&E team, and BD Associate on impact and financial reporting.
* Contribute to the overall strategy of Living Goods as a key member of the growing business development team.
* 4+ years of experience in fundraising and business development.
* A desire and ability to help build the business development department in a rapidly expanding and fast-paced global organization.
* Experience in or passion to learn about international development or social enterprise preferred.
* Exceptional research, writing and communication skills. An ability to develop clear and convincing materials, attentive to nuance and your audience.
* Significant experience in developing outreach and relationship-building strategies and implementing plans to achieve them.
* Demonstrated experience managing proposal teams and processes and producing deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
* Experience with budgeting and financial reporting preferred.
* Willingness to travel regionally and internationally.
* BA required.
Apply directly: https://livinggoods.org/careers/