Business Development Senior Associate
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Acumen started as an idea. Fourteen years later we have a proven model that combines the best of charity and investing to change the way the world tackles poverty.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We were one of the early pioneers that created the field of impact investing. Our companies have improved the lives of hundreds of millions of poor people by providing them high-quality, affordable water, sanitation, healthcare, housing, energy, agriculture and education. We offer leadership programs that bring together the world’s best talent to focus their skills, capacity and moral imagination to solve the world’s toughest problems of poverty. And we invest in the spread of ideas to share what we are learning, in order change the way the world tackles poverty.
We see each investment as a provocation, a chance to support entrepreneurs who dare to build solutions where markets have failed and traditional aid has fallen short.
Who You Are
Candidates for the Business Development Senior Associate role should have a passionate commitment to Acumen’s mission and business model, and embody the organization’s core values: generosity, humility, listening, accountability, audacity, leadership and respect. Given our entrepreneurial culture, the candidate must be a self-starter who thrives under tight deadlines, is curious and analytical, is comfortable managing both up and across teams, and has a solid understanding of and interest in international development and poverty alleviation.
You are a detailed oriented, savvy communicator who is comfortable both supporting and leading fundraising activities. You are a creative in seeking out new relationships, skilled in developing meaningful partnerships and can provide assistance to colleagues doing the same. You will be able to take the lead on relationship cultivation but also play a key support role to other team members when needed. We have a small and energetic team, and this is a roll-up-your-sleeves kind of role.
We want someone who is flexible, a problem solver, who knows how to push the envelope, and is an incredibly fast learner. Everyone says these sorts of things; we really mean it. Lastly, you need to have a good sense of humor.
You will be a champion of the Acumen brand, supporting the implementation of strategic partnerships, cultivating and closing your own relationships with high net worth individuals, as well as assisting other senior Acumen leaders in doing the same. You are comfortable working toward a personal fundraising goal and helping your colleagues reach their as well.
- Work with the global business development team to implement our strategy to reach annual fundraising targets
- Support implementation of key strategic partnerships with high net worth individuals and family foundations
- Provide research on potential prospects; including giving history, professional experience, net worth, existing connections to Acumen community members
- Drive partner communications; assist in the profiling of partners and ensuring that they receive correspondence on interest areas in a timely manner
- Take the lead on relationship management for partners at lower giving levels; including face to face meetings and general relationship maintenance
- Liaise with communications team to create and update collateral used for partner communications; annual and mid-year reports on Acumen’s work, quarterly updates, blog posts, etc.
- Organize and execute prospect cultivation events/networking events as necessary, leveraging our existing Partner communities, particularly within the New York area
- Execute and deliver on personal fundraising target, in addition to supporting other team members.
- Assist in the execution of partner-only events bringing together internal and external stakeholders from across the globe
- Potential for public- speaking opportunities with select partner/prospect groups; deliver Acumens narrative in an effective, clear and compelling manner
- Maintain accurate and consistent client records in Acumen’s CRM.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 4-7 y years of work experience, including evidence of successful sales support, client management skills and independently operating in complex, autonomous situations
- A track record of involvement in building and maintaining strategic funding relationships with some experience working in developing economies or the impact investing sector as a plus
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including the ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under
- Effective storyteller who consistently communicates (oral, written) in a compelling manner
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong teamwork
- Ability to bridge the gap between the nonprofit and for-profit worlds
- Intellectually curious, with an ability to understand the nuances of a complex sector and how to position Acumen within it
- Ability to create clarity and deliver results despite complex and ambiguous circumstances
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be.
- Displays high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listens and focuses on hearing what others are saying
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Permanent authorization to work in the geography where this role is located