Business Development Summer Associate
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen is looking for a Summer Associate to support the work of our New York-based Business Development team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with strong research skills, exceptional energy, and an enthusiastic commitment to global development.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
Acumen’s Business Development Team is responsible for fundraising and relationship management for our broad community of donors, partners, and champions, identifying and cultivating prospective funders for Acumen’s programs and ensuring that our donors remain strongly connected to our work.
The BD Summer Associate will be responsible for conducting systematic and strategic prospect research, collecting, evaluating, and verifying data on prospects and existing donors, and translating this information into concise and timely profiles in support of the fundraising activities of the Business Development team at Acumen.
The Summer Associate may also be called on to assist with specific analysis projects aimed at helping Acumen to better understand our donor community and to provide administrative and logistical support to events aimed at engaging or expanding our donor community.
More specifically, you’ll work with the New York BD team to:
– Identify and carry out research on prospects using publicly available sources, databases, information from staff, supporters and contacts and any other sources as appropriate
– Use findings to create quality research profiles to include a brief biographical overview, an assessment of prospects’ wealth and propensity to give, and their affinity with Acumen’s mission
– Optimize and maintain a process for collecting major donor leads and associated research using CRM tools
– Reference our existing donor database to identify opportunities for increased donations
– Verify and update profiles of existing donors using prospect research tools to ensure a more accurate understanding of Acumen’s donor community
– Assist in the lead-building process by identifying and creating summary reports on sector-wide fundraising trends and local philanthropic events
– Research and solicit event sponsorship opportunities for fundraising and cultivation events
– Support event development and follow-up by phone and email
– Experience with web based research and ability to find pertinent information and distill large volumes of information into a concise format
– Ability to learn new skills, procedures and systems quickly without being afraid to ask questions
– Excellent writing and editing skills
– Conscientious approach with good attention to detail.
– Proven ability to work efficiently to meet deadlines.
– Ability to deal with confidential information sensitively and appropriately.
– Demonstrated experience with prospect wealth and relationship research., event management, and CRM tools
– Experience with database logic and the ability to find data for donor profiles and reports from data sets (SQL experience is helpful).
Additional characteristics we look for in all roles at Acumen:
– Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
– Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
– A sense of humor (really)
$550 per week, for 10-12 weeks
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline for this position is Monday, May 14.
Please follow this link to apply: https://bit.ly/2vQKnnB