Business Growth Manager
- Warc Ghana
- Accra, Ghana
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Send an email with your cv and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where to Apply
We work to get farmers out of poverty. That’s our dream. We want to see Africa feeding the world in our lifetimes and its farmers to become the guardians of one of humanity’s most precious resource: the soils. We design and sell regenerative farming inputs as a service. With this, farmers are able to grow exponentially their incomes, improve their quality of life and develop a stronger tie to their lands. We worked with a thousand farmers and generated a very solid proof of concept. Now we aim high – we want one million farmers adopting our services within a decade.
Warc has humble beginnings. We did not learn how to run a business from a book; we have real, tangible experience. Warc’s revenue has grown 50x over the last 4 years and our goal is to triple it within the next 18 months. We began with a $30,000 investment from our founders and rapidly scaled up to raising over $5,000,000 in equity, debt and grants from angel, government and institutional investors.
Warc’s story started in Sierra Leone, but we’ve rapidly established ourselves in Ghana, and continue to grow. We’re more than 50 people in Ghana, representing 14 different nationalities, managing two production areas in Bono East Region and in the Upper West Region. We operate across West Africa, with established agricultural production, service delivery, market linkages and consulting operations in Sierra Leone and Ghana. In the next decade, we ambition to be present across West Africa. Help us do it!!
About the Job
Great candidates want to make an impact, and they don’t shy away from challenges! Generating impact doesn’t just come from operating farms and delivering services to farmers – developing partnerships and our consultancy practice serves to extend the impact to other SMEs, NGOs, and international donors.
We’re growing our team and looking for a Business Growth Manager. The role will involve a spectrum of activities from supporting further building relationships with potential partners, business development activities, analysing new opportunities, proposal development and project implementation either as a key consultant or in a project management capacity.
This role is specifically for a Business Growth Manager to support our Managing Director and Head of Projects in our partnerships and consulting service growth. The role is based in Accra but would involve travel to our two farm sites in Bono East and the Upper West Regions, as well as other potential project sites. The role is available both to Ghanaian nationals and non-nationals.
The main responsibilities of the Business Growth Manager include:
i) Seek out partnership opportunities for business growth and establish strong relationships with key personnel
ii) Support business development efforts to mobilize resources to finance new opportunities for impact
iii) Search and review new business opportunities for consultancy assignments
iv) Manage responses to Expressions of Interest and Calls for Proposals/Terms of Reference papers
v) Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
vi) Ensure efficient project management procedures are implemented to enable monitoring of projects and accurate reporting of progress
vii) Support the Managing Director in relationship building with potential program partners
viii) Work with Warc’s Head of Projects and Service Delivery Unit Manager to support internal development projects with smallholder farmers
ix) Travel to project sites, networking events and partner meetings across Ghana
Warc is excited to have a driven, talented, and hardworking person join our team. We can teach many of the technical skills, and expose you to great experiences, but we need someone that’s entrepreneurial and with strong business acumen. It is very important for the person to have a strong interest to learn, show strong initiative, and be able to run with the work on their own, driving programs forward with a desire to see rural development in Ghana that supports the most vulnerable people – subsistence farmers.
A suitable candidate will have the following characteristics:
• Entrepreneurial spirit, business acumen and belief in business approaches to development
• Relevant academic study –2-3 years of experience as a management/business consultant, and preferably with agricultural/development experience in Africa
• Experience or interest in working in a highly cross-cultural environment
• Advanced English writing, communication, and negotiation skills
• Strong proposal writing skills – clear, concise and effective report writing
• Good interpersonal and social skills
• Strong networking and relationship management skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including governments, private sector, donors, etc
• Knowledge of the West African context
• Strong initiative and intuition – being able to work out next steps, provide solutions and not be afraid to try new ideas
• Willingness to work in a start-up environment – the ability to adapt and change with the organisation
• Flexibility and ability to work without constant supervision