Capital Access Manager
- Energy 4 Impact
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Capital Access Manager (CAM) oversees Energy 4 Impact’s work facilitating lending to micro-enterprises by financial institutions and suppliers in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Senegal, although this is likely to expand to more countries soon. The CAM manages a team of 5, allocates capital access funds, and is responsible for relevant policies, procedures, documents and reporting. The role is based at Energy 4 Impact’s regional headquarters in Nairobi and reports to the Director of Investment Advisory in London.
Responsibilities for the role include:
1. Manage the Capital Access team of 5 persons across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Rwanda and support
the team in Senegal as required.
2. Manage Capital Access funds for lending and guarantees as required.
3. Manage relationships with partner financial institutions, lenders and other providers of credit (e.g banks, lending groups, funds, foundations, family offices and companies).
4. Manage the development and execution of strategies to support access to finance e.g. through capacity building at lenders/partner financial institutions, mentorship of companies and borrowers on capital access issues
5. Manage development and maintenance of policies, procedures, documents and tools for use by the Capital Access Team and others in Energy 4 Impact programmes.
6. Manage consultants, interns and students (e.g. selection, drawing up terms of reference, analyzing their work and output) carrying out research or reporting on capital access activities.
1. Coordinate with internal teams (e.g. country managers, country teams, M&E, finance, plus local enterprise development teams) to implement Capital Access activities.
2. Work closely with in-house M&E team to ensure expected results for Capital Access activities are measured and evaluated.
3. Work closely with external stakeholders (e.g. lenders, programme partners, donor agencies) to manage Capital Access activities.
4. Report to senior management, Board of Trustees and donors on Capital Access activities
Academic and Professional Qualification:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or similar or equivalent level of degree (e.g. Law) from a reputable institution.
Over 5 years’ experience in financial inclusion in developing countries and working with MFIs, cooperative banks and other local credit providers.
Experience managing an international team, preferably in a developing market context.
Experience and knowledge of the energy sector, preferably in renewable energy, an advantage.
Good team management and motivational skills with an ability to work with a diverse mix of professionals.
Good spoken and written communication skills.
Ability to speak and write in French an advantage.
Comfortable with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving environment.
Energy 4 Impact exists because of our concerns for global inequality and climate change – this is the core of what drives us. We aim to be a caring, compassionate organization respectful of difference, and to treat our staff
fairly and to help them develop as professionals and as people.
Energy 4 Impact is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Energy 4 Impact works to alleviate poverty in Africa through increased access to sustainable, renewable energy.
To achieve this goal, we support the development and growth of privately owned micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (mSMEs) which deliver renewable energy products and services to the poor, mainly in rural and periurban areas. We do this by advising mSMEs on business and technical matters and enabling them to secure the financing and resources they require. For more information, please go to www.energy4impact.org.