Capital Development Associate
- Durham, NC
- Job Type
- Contact Information
Self-Help is a leading national community development financial institution (CDFI) headquartered in Durham, NC. Founded in 1980, Self-Help has provided over $7 billion in financing to 131,000 families, individuals and businesses underserved by traditional financial institutions. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by financing hundreds of homebuyers each year, as well as nonprofits, child care centers, community health facilities, public charter schools, and residential and commercial real estate projects. The Self-Help family of non-profit organizations includes North Carolina’s Self-Help Credit Union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union, Self-Help Ventures Fund and the Center for Responsible Lending, a national policy and advocacy organization addressing abusive lending practices. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 129,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago and Florida and offers a full range of financial products and services. Learn more at www.self-help.org, www.self-helpfcu.org and www.responsiblelending.org.
Self-Help is seeking a Capital Development Associate to join our team in Durham, NC. The Capital Development Associate is responsible for supporting team efforts to raise debt and equity to further Self-Help’s mission driven programs and growth, including identifying opportunities, preparing proposals, and negotiating terms and conditions. This position will also assist in managing funder relationships, including completing routine funder reporting coordinating with other teams to accomplish capitalization goals.
Support fundraising activities to raise needed capital for Self-Help’s mission driven initiatives including participating in:
• Developing new funding opportunities with banks, foundations, insurance companies, etc.
• Investigating funding opportunities with active and potential funders
• Preparing proposals for debt and equity opportunities
• Negotiating terms and conditions with funders
• Managing or leading complex finance closing processes
Actively participate in fostering funding and partnership activities including:
• Maintaining relationships with active funders
• Supporting event planning and implementation
• Attending industry conferences and meetings to provide greater exposure of Self-Help to potential funders and the CDFI industry and to learn from industry best practices.
Ensure funder compliance and reporting requirements are met including:
• Documenting and tracking commitments to active funders
• Preparing quarterly and annual reports for active funders
• Providing support for in-depth annual reviews and audits
• Support or manage program compliance on various funding awards.
Support program teams in generating high quality program information and managing program compliance on various funding awards.
Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent relevant experience.
• 2 years of financial management, legal, program management, lending or capitalization experience.
• Ability to learn and effectively present Self-Help’s financial position and mission impacts.
• Ability to develop and maintain credible and trusting relationships with internal and external partners.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to effectively plan, organize and prioritize multiple tasks and/or projects to meet deadlines.
• Ability to self-motivate, identify challenges and opportunities and coordinate team responses.
• Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
• Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability and willingness to travel up to 20%.
• Graduate degree.
• 5+ years’ experience of financial management, legal, program management, lending or capitalization experience.
• Experience working in the community development sector, in the CDFI industry, and/or with tax credit programs.
• Knowledge of accounting, ability to read and analyze financial statements required and ability to create and interpret financial projections.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, send resume and cover letter, describing why you are a fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the position title as the subject. The position will remain posted until filled.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, gender, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.
Location: Durham, NC
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Contact Information: email@example.com