Care and Competitiveness Field Research Consultant
- International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on women and girls for the last four decades. ICRW works with partners to conduct empirical research, build capacity, and advocate for evidence-based practical solutions to change policies and programs. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices in New Delhi, India and Kampala, Uganda, ICRW conducts research to inform policies and programs seeking to alleviate poverty, promote gender equality and protect the rights of women and girls. Corporations, foundations, governments and civil society organizations partner with ICRW to discover through rigorous research how to dismantle barriers and help women and girls achieve their full potential. ICRW’s focal areas include gender-based violence, healthy transitions to adulthood, economic empowerment, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
At ICRW, we believe that research can and should be a process of social development, and we employ participatory methods when appropriate. Further, ICRW pursues intersectional research to the greatest extent possible. All research we undertake serves to advance ICRW’s mission of improving the status of women and girls, promoting gender equality, and eradicating poverty.
ICRW is commissioned by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to undertake research that will help strengthen the business case for private sector involvement in care provision and inform its internal and external stakeholders on innovative strategies for investing in care. Specifically, the research study will:
• Examine the legal and institutional frameworks, norms and customary practices around care in four EBRD Countries of Operation: Egypt, Kazakhstan, Romania, and Turkey.
• Highlight the costs and impacts of women’s unpaid care work burdens on private sector performance, answering questions about the pathways to, and measures of, impact.
• Identify global best practices addressing care needs of women, focusing particularly on practices in the private sector.
ICRW is looking for consultants for each of the four study countries: Turkey/Egypt/Kazakhstan/
1. Contribute to the desk based review and analysis of national legislative and policy frameworks, large scale government initiatives and norms and customary practices around care (~2 days)
2. Contribute to in-country stakeholder mapping (~0.5 day)
3. Conduct up to 10 key informant interviews (KIIs) and up to 4 focus group discussions (FGDs) with private sector companies to collect data on their HR and company practices around care. KIIs will collect data such as diversity in employee pool, levels of turnover/retention, cost of recruitment, absenteeism among employees, quality and timeliness of production etc. The FGDs will try to capture the viewpoints of employees of different genders with different positions and ranks on unpaid care work responsibilities and company care practices. (~8 days)
4. Translate and organize the data and support data analysis (~6 days)
5. Contribute to country reports (~0.5 days)
1. Advanced university degree in economics., law, sociology or other relevant disciplines
2. At least 5 years of work experience
3. Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research
4. Knowledge of the Country’s “care framework” – laws, policies, institutions, and private sector practices.
5. Capacity to take initiative and be a self-starter
6. Proficiency in English and the local language of the assigned country
7. Strong written and oral communication skills
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter stating why you are suitable for this position, CV, writing sample, and daily rate by Monday, March 12, 2018.
Please apply through our online applicant tracking system:
Romania applications: http://icrw.applicantstack.
Kazakhstan applications: http://icrw.applicantstack.
Turkey applications: http://icrw.applicantstack.
Egypt applications: http://icrw.applicantstack.