Career Outcomes and Alumni Manager
- Hatua Likoni
- Mombasa, Kenya
- Job Type
- Contact Information
About Hatua Likoni:
Hatua Likoni is a community organization that prepares youth to thrive in Kenya’s workforce by providing promising, low-income students with access to the education, career guidance and professional networks they need to contribute to and benefit from Kenya’s growing economy.
Our committed team of ten serves over 400 students enrolled in high school and university. We are proud about our 95% graduation rate from secondary school and 90% transition rate to University. To date 34 Hatua students have graduated from university. Within one year of graduation 100% of our alumni are already working, earning 4x the average income of youth who have not completed their education.
We are currently opening our 2nd office, starting our expansion journey across Mombasa to eventually work with 1,600 students annually!
About the role
We provide access to education, but completing a university degree doesn’t always guarantee that students successfully transition into the workplace. As the Career Outcome and Alumni Coordinator, you will support our alumni in securing employment opportunities in industries they are interested in, and have been trained to work in. This includes providing personalized coaching to support the job search process of individuals, as well as ensuring career discovery skills are part of all our programs. By positioning Hatua Likoni alumni as a high quality talent pool for employers across the country, you will help build a large, strong and diverse network of companies eager to hire them.
Over the years, you will also build a thriving network of alumni, who succeed in their careers, life and communities, and who are deeply committed to Hatua Likoni and give back to future generations of sponsored youth in Mombasa.
Your responsibilities will include:
Ensure 100% of Hatua alumni transition into jobs relevant to their career
● Managing and running the graduates boot camp, which will equip recent graduates with the mindset and skills needed to successfully navigate the job search process.
● Providing personalized coaching support to graduating students and any alumni who are not yet employed.
● Build peer support structures and leverage the mentors in the process
● Network with target employers sought by our alumni. This will involve helping students secure meetings with professionals outside our mentorship program, who can help them in their job search and coach them to take advantage of these networking opportunities.
● Develop appropriate tools and templates that will enable mentors to not only support, but also keep track of their mentees job search process.
● Help improve Hatua’s industry relations by positioning our value to employers around the country and
pitch Hatua’s alumni pool as a great recruitment channel to relevant individuals and organizations.
● Closely work with the University Mentorship Coordinator to jointly improve quality of our career skills
trainings, career fairs and mentorship programs.
Curating professional industry groups which allow the students broader perspectives:
● Providing support to our recently set up industry specific groups consisting of Hatua Likoni’s mentors and
students, while providing clear guidelines on how the groups will be run.
● Supporting champions within each group to regularly bring mentors and students together under
● Encouraging and preparing alumni to take the lead in coordinating the meetings of the various
● Tracking the progress of professional Industry groups, and providing support where needed.
Helping to oversee the initiation and growth of the alumni network
● Working with the alumni chairs to shape the alumni network’s agenda
● Setting up and maintaining effective communication channels with all of Hatua Likoni’s alumni.
● Assist in bringing on board relevant partnerships to grow the alumni network.
General Program Management
● Tracking alumni related programs and successes, and ensuring regular reporting.
● Regularly update the full list of Alumni with job and income data.
● Continuous iteration on our methodologies, finding innovative ways to provide more and better value to
our students and partners.
● Managing and maintaining our databases e.g. alumni placement database.
● Overall program quality control inclusive of maintaining a minimum standard across all professional
Who we are looking for
● You are highly passionate about advancing the social sector and you have a strong interest in youth
empowerment and education
● You possess strong coaching or training skills and have helped individuals succeed in challenging
● You are experienced in providing career guidance, and ground your advice in a strong understanding of
the challenges facing entry level job seekers when identifying, preparing for and submitting job
● You are excited by the thought of supporting and guiding young people towards great careers.
● You are comfortable networking with professionals and HR departments in different industries and
possibly have an existing network across the country.
● You have strong project management skill and mindset and proven ability to organize your own workload
with diverse priorities.
● You have at least three to five years of total work experience, at least some of which in either HR or
marketing with clear results relevant to this role.
● You are confident, persuasive and able to pitch the value of our students to potential employers.
● You know how to evaluate the quality and quantity of your work and communicate well in reports.
● You develop creative strategies to deliver results with minimal resources.
● You are tech savvy and easily navigate spreadsheets, documents, slides, etc as part of your work
● You have a Bachelor’s degree with strong academic results.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at Hatua Likoni, if
● You are 100% values driven and you want to instil strong values in the next generation
● You enjoy working with and in the community
● You are great team player, people talk about you being helpful and collaborative
● You are able to work independently and bring results in an unstructured environment
● You enjoy diversity and you are generally optimistic about the future
Why work with us?
● We get a lot of fulfilment by working with underprivileged youth and seeing them transform their lives
over the 9 years they engage closely with us. If you enjoy building deep emotional connections and
seeing the impact of your work, this job is for you
● Our team has a deep sense of ownership over the organization. Everyone has the chance to take a
leadership role and contribute to the organization’s growth
● Build interesting networks
● We believe in personal growth and you will have a lot of opportunity for career development as the
● We have a strong sense of family within our team and understand the importance of having some level of
flexibility around working hours
The successful candidate will start in October 2018. You will be based in Mombasa, and work in our Likoni office.
You should be ready to commit to this role for at least three years. We’ll arrange a 6-month probation period with
learning and delivery objectives.
Want to apply?
● First, read this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process:
● Apply by filling out the application survey under this link: http://bit.ly/HatuaCareersJD
● You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is in PDF format, no longer
than 3 pages and relevant to this role.
● Depending on the number of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates may be contacted.
● The selection process will include a personality test, case study and interviews.