- Lima Links
- Lusaka, Zambia
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Lima Links is an agricultural technology startup that is revolutionizing the way smallholder African farmers reach markets. Through our Farmer Platform, accessed by any farmer for free on a basic phone, we connect farmers to live markets to sell their vegetables, field crops, and livestock. On the same platform, we also connect them to input suppliers and help them find various agricultural inputs, including seeds, chemicals, fertilizers, equipment, and much more.
Lima Links is at a critical stage of growth and is now recruiting a committed CEO to come on board and take the company to profitability. There is huge for demand from all market actors (farmers, buyers, and suppliers), as well as opportunity to expand the company regionally after scaling in Zambia, our first country of operation. We are looking for an energetic, business-minded CEO who can grow revenue streams, application usage numbers, and drive overall business growth. You don\’t have to have 20+ years of experience, but you do need to be able to drive business growth and lead the team in all areas listed below. The ideal candidate should be open to remuneration made up of a base salary plus equity/bonus compensation. This position is based full-time in Lusaka, Zambia. The CEO will receive benefits on par with Zambian labor law, including up to 30 days of paid leave per year.
The CEO will be leading the company. This includes the following tasks:
1. Sales and revenue targets. Lead team to reach revenue targets and lead company to profitability. Meet with important clients, close deals, and coach your team to do the same.
Fundraising and investor management. Attract and onboard new investors to fund product development, new business pilots, and company growth. Manage relationships and reporting to investors and/or donors.
2. People. Recruit and/or develop a strong, lean business team that is integral to the operations and growth of the company. Lead in the structuring of the company dynamic to drive communication, innovation, and efficiency in day to day operations. Coach and support the team.
3. Business planning. Create a strong business plan that will guide company operations and targets over the next 3-5 years.
Product management. Manage the product specifications and requirements and ensure a productive working environment for the tech team. Provide knowledgeable insight to the programming and development of products and ultimately make technical decisions surrounding product development. Maintain focus on UX and manage a strong version release timeline. (Hint: this job will be a lot easier if you know what an API is).
4. Research and development (R&D). Lead the team in identifying new product or service areas, and provide strategic support in designing and conducting new product research, including market research among low-income consumers in rural areas. Maintain a healthy pipeline of potential products/services.
5. Growth among consumers at the BoP. Continually manage growth targets, effectively communicating them to the entire team, and make on-the-fly decisions depending on progress against targets. Bring experience from past work to inform innovative techniques in reaching and engaging our target consumers, some of whom earn $1-$5 per day.
6. Operations. Serve as the day-to-day managing director of operations, setting up policies and procedures to ensure a smooth operating system, mitigating challenges, driving progress towards targets, and taking timely decisive action for the benefit of the business.
7. Legal and regulatory. Ensure legal and regulatory registration and compliance in all business areas (i.e. data privacy, taxation, etc), develop appropriate policies and procedures for finance, people, and operations.
8. Systems. Support the ongoing development of strong internal systems, including financial systems and management systems.
9. Client relationships. Lead the relationships with telecom operators, banks, government officials, corporate clients, NGOs (such as iDE Zambia), and other high-level corporate stakeholders to ensure Lima Links is continually growing across all core business areas.
10. Board and governance. Support in the recruitment of Board members. The CEO will take full responsibility for leading the communication and involvement of the Board in all major business decisions and in providing regular reports and business updates.
11. Marketing and Communications. This start-up will have at least four different target user groups, and as such will require your hand in creative marketing strategies, with strong internal and external structures to ensure consistent brand communication across all stakeholders.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills and experience:
Strong experience in sales and driving revenue targets.
Strong experience in fundraising, whether through investors, donors, partners, etc., with proven results.
Ability to recruit, grow, and retain a team of skilled, business-minded team members; Past record of at least 3 years managing successful business teams, with proven results.
Strong knowledge and network in the global agriculture space. (You don’t need to be from an ag company, but you need to know what crops we should start exporting and how to find buyers for them—for example.)
Strategic, business and operational planning and proven ability to deliver on set objectives. Ability to create strong financial projections and business plans. (Will be asked to provide examples at interview stage.)
The ability to work under pressure on a range of diverse tasks, meeting deadlines and balancing competing priorities.
Minimum Bachelors degree; MBA preferred.
Willingness to re-locate to Lusaka, Zambia full-time.
Up to 30 paid leave days per year
To apply, please forward a comprehensive CV together with a supporting statement (maximum two pages of A4) to email@example.com. Tell us what excites you about this position and what experience you bring that makes you the best candidate. Please also provide the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of three referees, relevant to this role. References will only be taken once your express permission has been granted. Finally please ensure that you have included mobile, work, and home telephone numbers, as well as your primary email address.
Please send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Lima Links CEO’. Any applications without this subject line will be ignored.
This is an ongoing recruitment and the position will be open until filled. However, we are ready to hire the CEO ASAP, so please send in applications as soon as possible.