Chief Commercial Officer
- African Management Initiative
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis so please submit ASAP explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Applications close on June 19. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.
AMI is an entrepreneurial African social business that empowers African managers and entrepreneurs through practical and accessible learning and development tools. We combine cutting-edge technology, world-class content, offline workshops and an innovative peer accountability process, helping managers, young professionals and entrepreneurs apply what they learn on the job to build their organisations and progress their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised impact investment, generated international press coverage with CNN, Euronews and the Financial Times among others, and already reached over 10,000 individuals in over 25 countries. We are looking for an exceptional entrepreneurial leader to help us move to the next level of scale across Africa, online and on the ground.
The Chief Commercial Officer will be a key senior player in AMI’s international leadership team, leading AMI’s commercial strategy and operations as we scale up to reach hundreds of thousands of managers, entrepreneurs and young professionals across Africa. We work hard, focus obsessively on results, innovate constantly and have fun in the process. The position is based at AMI’s head office in Nairobi.
This is a chance for an outstanding entrepreneurial leader to be part of Africa’s transformation, and to help shape, build and scale one of the continent’s most innovative social impact businesses.
The Chief Commercial Officer must be a strategic leader with a proven track record of scaling entrepreneurial technology businesses across Africa or another emerging market. The successful candidate will develop and implement strategy, and lead AMI’s sales and marketing teams in existing and new markets, as well as providing senior leadership on the ground in Nairobi. Leadership experience in edTech or large-scale consumer technology businesses would be a strong advantage. We will also consider candidates with strong experience of scaling enterprise-based software businesses. Experience at a senior level in a high-growth entrepreneurial environment is a must. The candidate must be based in, or willing to relocate to Nairobi, Kenya.
Strategy, partnerships & brand |
– Work with the leadership team to develop and implement overall strategy
– Lead all aspects of commercial strategy, including sales and marketing, ensuring commercial strategy is aligned with broader company vision
– Identify, establish and manage new strategic partnerships to expand AMI’s reach
– Represent AMI at a senior level as required, and provide leadership in the Nairobi office
– Take overall responsibility for establishing AMI’s brand at the forefront of learning and professionals development in Africa, in both consumer and business markets
Online consumer business |
– Lead overall strategic marketing for our growing B2C business across Africa
– Develop and manage new partnership to expand scale and reach
– Manage positioning, packaging and pricing of AMI products to individuals online
– Liaise with product (content and technology) teams to ensure products respond to market demands
– Lead implementation of marketing strategy and tactics, including all digital campaigns, AMI’s broader digital footprint, events, external agencies and front-end of AMI’s unique learning platform
– Implement and manage CRM, marketing automation and any other marketing tools
B2B learning and development business |
– Lead overall commercial strategy for the fast-growing B2B business
– Lead expansion of sales footprint in East Africa, identifying new market segments and planning entry
– Lead analysis, planning and implementation for new market entry across the continent
– Liaise with Business Learning team on client management and project implementation
– Support sales teams with contract negotiation and high-level sales meetings
– Lead marketing support and brand awareness for B2B sales teams
– Lead AMI’s growing sales and marketing teams
– Manage sales and marketing budgets, in liaison with senior leadership team
– Identify staff requirements and manage hiring process within sales and marketing teams as we grow into new markets
– Lead training & onboarding of new staff in sales and marketing
Skills & attributes
· Proven ability to scale up technology-related products and services in an African or emerging market environment
· Outstanding commercial savvy and negotiation skills, with an eye for opportunity and a knack for closing a deal
· Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically.
· Proven success leading entrepreneurial sales and marketing strategies for new products, brands or services.
· Enthusiasm and commitment for AMI’s vision of transformation through skills development
· Excellent networker with a strong existing network ideally in East Africa.
· Decision Making & Problem Solving Skills – ability to identifies and resolve problems and generate alternative solutions
· Critical thinking and data analysis – Demonstrated ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases. Work with other leaders to perform deep data driven analysis of businesses; drive the implementation of recommendations derived from analysis into market strategies.
· Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. Presentation Skills. Work well with people.
· Management & Leadership – Proven ability build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team.
· An unwavering commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability.
· Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others
· Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
· Minimum of 8 years experience in marketing, sales and/or business development, with at least 3 years at a senior level (essential)
· Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
· Experience leading commercial strategies for new products or new brands (essential)
· Experience working at a senior level in Africa or another emerging market (essential). International experience preferred.
· Experience within a consumer technology environment (strongly preferred)
· Experience in edTech, management education, corporate training or enterprise development sector (preferred, but not essential)
· Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred but not essential)
· Masters degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience
AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Kenya with frequent travel in Africa.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis so please submit ASAP explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Applications close on June 19. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.