Chief Executive Officer
- East Africa
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
UpEnergy seeks a Kampala, Uganda- based CEO to oversee current operations and new partnerships, to drive organizational growth, and to lead the rapid development and testing of new businesses. Our new CEO will be a leader with a track record of implementing management systems that inspire excellence. She or he will have experience growing teams in emerging market economies. The ideal candidate will have entrepreneurial intuition and experience identifying and capitalizing on new opportunities.
The role will also require strong but thoughtful leadership, expert management of budgeting and finance/accounting operations, and the ability to establish and maintain effective organizational controls.
The CEO will report to, and draw on the expertise of, the UpEnergy Board of Directors which consists of founders and investors who have built sales organizations and carbon finance projects worldwide.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Continue to set and improve organizational culture. Develop new operations with cultures of excellence, innovation, and nimble experimentation.
- Oversee performance management, mentorship, leadership development, and the implementation of strong organizational controls.
- Attract and retain high performing teams.
- Drawing on the Board of Directors as a resource, articulate and evolve UpEnergy’s strategy as we seek to exceed the expectations of current customers and provide new products to future customers..
- Develop new strategic relationships with product manufacturers, governments, NGOs, debt investors, and other retail organizations.
- Develop, pitch, and test new business plans that contribute to the achievement of current sales goals while validating the viability of new revenue streams.
- Own all aspects of UpEnergy’s strategic execution.
- Effectively oversee financial management and accounting across UpEnergy’s corporate entities including annual audits and quarterly financial reports.
- Maintain and update a long term cash flow model in line with current corporate strategy.
- Successfully manage existing partnerships with product manufacturers, local governments, sovereign carbon buyers, NGOs, debt investors, and other retail organizations.
- Oversee product development and procurement functions to ensure strong sales, margins and impact. Drive continuous improvement through savvy management and creative experimentation.
- Manage complex existing supplier relationships
Carbon Asset Management
- Oversee carbon finance operations including the teams of consultants that manage the generation and sales of CERs.
- Manage relationships and reporting to carbon buyers.
- Lead quarterly board meetings with the aim of informing the board and agreeing upon future strategic priorities
Required Skills and Experience:
- A track record of effective and strategic management of organizational growth in senior management positions.
- Proven team building and general management experience in operationally challenging environments.
- Strong financial management experience, including internal controls and accountability: you will have managed budgets and P&L.
- An understanding of customers and business culture in East Africa.
- Experience in outward facing roles representing companies to diverse stakeholders such as investors, partners, and clients.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Creative ambition: An entrepreneurial mindset.
- High expectations of self and team.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters degree in management related field preferred.
- Fluent English required.
The UpEnergy CEO will earn a highly competitive base salary. Strong performance and/or equity incentives will additionally be offered based on the achievement of organizational goals.
Please send a resume and cover letter highlighting your entrepreneurial and management experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UpEnergy (www.upenergygroup.com) brings aspirational clean energy and health products within reach for low-income customers in Africa. We launch and grow businesses that distribute and finance technologies like efficient cookstoves, water filters, and solar lights. The products we sell generate carbon emissions reductions which we have pre-sold through long term sales contracts to buyers in Europe and North America.
We sell products locally under our SmartHome brand and through partnerships with other brands. We operate regional distribution hubs and build distribution relationships with chain stores and local retailers. We also sell directly to customers through an UpEnergy branded sales force.
Globally, UpEnergy has a long track record of capturing the value of energy savings through sales of emissions reductions. The products we sell generate UN certified carbon credits (CERs) delivered to buyers under the Clean Development Mechanism. Our success with carbon sales has uniquely positioned us to rapidly grow distribution and partnerships and reach more customers with energy saving products.