Chief Executive Officer
- Mbeng Adio Mushroom Farm
- Job Type
- Full time
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
We are seeking a passionate and experienced person to lead Mbeng Adio Mushroom Farm to become an internationally recognized social enterprise agricultural business. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated, driven and proven leader whose energy and enthusiasm will take our established and successful company through its next phase of growth.
Reporting directly to the Founder, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), a new position, will be responsible for the leadership, management and direction of MAMF, within the context of the soon to be completed five-year strategic business plan, targeting continued growth in Cameroon market, as well as possible expansion to other African markets. A key partner to the Founder, the CEO will manage the business and financial operations of the company while the Founder continues do outreach and education on the social benefit components of the mushroom business in Cameroon.
As a talented professional, the CEO will bring their deep commitment to social enterprises, the communities the company serves and the economic opportunity it provides. The new strategic business plan will be a critical guide, reinforcing the company’s strong foundation while pursing growth in the international mushroom farm markets and maintaining its strong commitment to improving economic vitality of its farmers.
Bridget Mbeng Mbu founded Mbeng Adio Mushroom Farm, also known as MAMF. It was registered as a member of Nkwen Multipurpose Cooperative and Common Initiative Group in Cameroon in 2012. MAMF\’s mission is to create economic empowerment and sustainability, by training and investing in local Cameroonian farmers through agri-business cooperatives. Their business operates as a social enterprise, by providing jobs and economic opportunities for women farmers. As such, MAMF has trained over 1500 local farmers, primarily women, in the cultivation and production of mushrooms. MAMF’s primary business line is to provide training, mushroom spawn and sales channels for women. In addition, it also engages in direct sales of mushroom spawns to other farmers for their own production.
MAMF values the contribution of women in these communities and collaborates with women farmers, including local women’s groups and supply. Their business model seeks to develop new ways of generating income for local women’s groups, including ethnic groups such as the Nomadic Fulani Women. The women trained in the MAMF Program take pride in their contribution to the cultivation of producing high quality mushrooms, and the income it can generate for them and their families. Due to the influence of Mbeng Adio Mushroom Farm, mushroom farming is becoming a stable source of sustainable income for women farmers in Cameroon.
MAMF is currently the largest producer of mushrooms in Cameroon and in Central Africa and continues to grow. Today, MAMF has three farms in the villages of Banjah, Nso and Mulion, in the North Western region of Cameroon. MAMF\’s farming model is community based and eco-friendly. MAMF prides itself on investing in local farmers at grassroots level. MAMF believes in breaking the chain of poverty, through sustainable income, whilst capitalizing on profitability and market share. MAMF is seeking to become the largest high-quality mushroom producer on the continent of Africa and a significant and recognized brand in the global mushroom market.
For the last decade, MAMF has been led and managed by its Founder. MAMF’s Founder is now hiring a CEO to complete and execute a new five-year strategic business plan, including playing the lead role in securing investments to finance expanded production while meeting the social mission of the company.
– Key strategic partner to the Founder who will shape and influence the future of Mbeng Adio Farms.
– Complete the business planning process to grow the business from $40K in sales today to $4M within 3 years and $15M within 5 years.
– Manage current business operations.
– Develop partnerships/sites needed to grow the business within Cameroon and other countries.
– Develop and implement an operational plan and reporting that incorporates the goals and objectives set forth in the strategic plan.
– Monitor the implementation of approved strategies to drive the performance of the company.
– Ensure organization is running smoothly and efficiently in accordance with the company’s development plans & objectives.
– Conduct quarterly business reviews to ensure performance to the annual business plan targets.
– Identify potential sources of funding to meet strategic objectives
– Develop pitch materials to engage investors
– Identify and build relationships with potential investors
– Secure funding investments and develop operational plans for how the funding would be deployed
– Manage timely and regular reporting to investors
Supply chain and distribution networks
– Build out and strengthen the mushroom spawn development and sales and harvested mushroom sales distribution needed for this business to be successful
– Build the distribution network
– Build the capacity of the company to meet global quality standards for mushrooms
– Identify and secure buyers in the US/ Asia / Europe
– Work collaboratively across the organization and share best practices
– Lead by example
– Ensure the team understands and adheres to company values and operating procedures
– Identify, hire and manage new US employees
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
– Commitment to the social mission of the company to empower women farmers at a grassroots level in their communities, providing a stable source of sustainable income for them
– Understanding of, and commitment to, sustainable business development, a cornerstone of MAMF’s success, in creating economic opportunity for women in Cameroon.
– Dynamic person with personal initiative
– Excellent management, leadership and strategic planning skills
– Strong communication skills with the capacity to succinctly convey ideas and organizational positions
– Strategic thinker with the ability to work hands on, while simultaneously keeping their eye on the big picture
– A strong professional image and high ethical standards/integrity
– Outstanding organizational skills as demonstrated by your ability to set and handle multiple priorities
– Strong business acumen and exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in English (ability to communicate in French is preferred, although not required)
– Self-starting leader who excels and thrives in high-growth, roll-up-your-sleeve entrepreneurial environment
– A team player who understands the importance of relationships and collaboration, both internally and externally
– Desires to build a company with strong, community focused values
– Possess a connection to the mission of MAMF and strong intercultural effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will bring all of the following to their role at MAMF:
– 10+ years of relevant work experience, with senior-level management roles in a start-up, international business, or global social enterprise
– Prior experience securing funding
– Prior experience managing growth of similar type of company
– Prior experience developing business opportunities and negotiating contracts with suppliers and buyers
– Prior experience in a global social enterprise
– This position is full-time.
– Initial compensation will be a profit-sharing arrangement based on meeting performance targets. A salary and benefits for the CEO will be funded through future growth of the company.
– Travel and other expenses on behalf of MAMF will be reimbursed.
Location and Travel Requirements
– The Founder is based in Delaware. The CEO can work remotely but would ideally have the ability to travel to Delaware occasionally for meetings. Travel to Cameroon and other countries periodically would be required to oversee operations, set up new sites or establish partnerships.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter with “MAMF” in the subject line.