Chief Financial Officer
- Good Nature Agro
- Chipata, Zambia
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please submit a 1-2 page cover letter and CV. Include your name and “CFO Application” in the email subject line. Applications are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Where to Apply
Good Nature Agro
Chief Financial Officer
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Position Salary Grade: Grade 11, beginning at 140,000 ZMW Gross per month
Compensation: Competitive package, including relocation
Start Date: April/May 2022
Contract Duration: 12 months, to start
Job Location: Chipata, Eastern Province, Zambia
Good Nature is a legume seed and commodity company founded to profitably move farmers out of poverty and into the middle class. We believe that the future of agriculture in Africa is disaggregated, with smallholders as the most powerful producers for local, regional, and global markets. We have designed our systems to be personal yet scalable. We have overseen consistent annual growth in our supply chain (expanding to 4,400 small-scale seed producers and 20,000 small-scale commodity producers), processing capacity, grower income (now 500% of baseline), and company revenue. Our growers and our staff continue to learn and become more efficient.
We are now at a point of inflection: expanding beyond Zambia to formally establish Good Nature Agro Malawi and export to 4 countries in 2021, adding new product lines and revenue streams, and strengthening our services to both growers and customers with investments in technology and integrated market access for farmers and customers.
In the next 18 months, we will be embarking on a number of initiatives including:
● Releasing new seed varieties created by our Seed Breeding and R&D Team
● Launching a game-changing digital platform, linking across our supply chain
● Acquiring new land and doubling factory processing capacity
● Expanding further operations into Malawi, and exporting to 6 countries
● Scaling our smallholder outgrower network from 25,000 to 40,000 farmers
● Growing our leadership team and investing in talent development
● Closing our Series B equity round
We are looking to appoint our first Chief Financial Officer to join the Senior Leadership Team and help deliver the next phase of Good Nature’s bold growth trajectory.
The Chief Financial Officer reports to the CEO and will be a key member of Good Nature’s Senior Leadership Team.
The CFO is responsible for all of Good Nature’s financial activities encompassing financial reporting and analysis, planning and budgeting, transaction processing and accounting, financial information systems, risk management, treasury and taxation. This is a global position and extends to all areas of Good Nature operations.
The CFO will work closely with other members of the Senior Leadership Team to deliver Good Nature’s strategic business initiatives. The CFO also serves on cross-departmental leadership teams, including Good Nature’s investor relations and fundraising team and the digital platform development team.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Reporting to the CEO, provide significant input and analysis into business strategy and operational initiatives to deliver growth
● Provide strong leadership to the finance team, ensuring the function is a hands-on business partner, proactively challenging and supporting all departments
● Develop and implement strategic financing plans with other members of senior leadership, current and potential investors, and other key stakeholders
● Improve and scale Good Nature’s use of blended financing tools and approaches to reduce risk for the company and the farmers we serve
● Manage ring-fenced accounts and relationships with investors and grantors in multiple geographies
● Oversee the development and preparation of short-term and long-range plans and financial models for the company based upon broad organisational goals and objectives
● Ensure strong financial controls alongside accurate and insightful budgeting, forecasting, KPI & reporting processes to facilitate effective oversight and commercial decision-making
● Develop and implement financial, tax, capital, and risk frameworks to deliver the company strategy
● Oversee Human Resources operations and employee engagement programming
● Play a leadership role on strategic teams of investor relations and digital platform development, providing expertise and analysis.
● Play a leadership role in potential merger and acquisition opportunities, including financial modeling, due diligence, and negotiations
● Continue to improve the company’s systems and processes to provide critical financial and operational information to the Senior Leadership Team. Integrate Good Nature’s proprietary digital platform into the ERP system
● Mentor, develop and build talent in the finance function to support expansion
● Manage relationships with local banks and other financial stakeholders; for daily cash management, company and farmer loans, et.al.
● Oversight of all statutory and financial requirements
Qualifications and Skills
● Proven CFO with strategic and commercial capability
● Leadership experience working in an international operating environment
● Excellent academic profile, including degrees and certifications in accounting, finance, or related fields
● Strong analytical skills and clear communication
● Skilled in digital finance and management tools
● Experience of managing senior internal and external stakeholders
● Experience in fundraising and investor relations, with experience in equity, debt, and other financial tools
● Positive, self-motivated and driven character who is resilient and resourceful, with a clear desire to succeed
● Excellent communication skills and strong track record of leadership/general management
● High calibre individual – curious, smart, high energy, and strong work ethic
● High level of emotional intelligence
● Career-oriented individual with evidence of significant progression
● Disciplined and rigorous, with a track record of delivery and accountability for results
● A self-starter, capable of working independently and proactively, anticipating challenges and developing new concepts
● A flexible individual with experience of working in a rapidly evolving environment
● Motivated to create positive social impact
Please see application instructions above.