Chief Operating Officer
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2015. Members of the West African diaspora are especially encouraged to apply!
Location: Bamako, Mali (strongly preferred) or Thies, Senegal. Candidates based in Oakland, CA; New York; London; Paris; or other major European city, with 50% travel to Bamako, will also be considered.
Language Requirement: Fluency in French and English
Duration: 3-year minimum commitment
Application deadline: November 15, 2015
myAgro is an award-winning social enterprise working in Mali and Senegal, West Africa. Our mission is to help small-scale farmers move out of poverty by providing certified seed and fertilizer, technical assistance and market access to farmers via a mobile layaway payment system.
Small-scale farmers across the globe make up 70% of the world’s poor. Our model increases farm income, reduces food insecurity, and helps farmers move out of poverty. We’ve grown from 240 farmers to over 10,000 in the last year, and have plans to rapidly scale in the coming years. Our dream is to build a model of savings layaway in Mali and Senegal that can be adopted by other organizations to serve farmers throughout the world.
We are proud to have received recognition for our work from Echoing Green, Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, One Acre Fund, Mulago Foundation, The Salesforce Foundation and The Tech Museum, among others.
Learn more about myAgro at www.myAgro.org
About this Role
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all of myAgro’s programs, and will manage a group of program directors and vice presidents. S/he will provide leadership around myAgro’s strategic planning process and will implement new programmatic initiatives. In addition, the COO will oversee and coordinate myAgro’s senior management team; serve as liaison to myAgro’s partners; and work with myAgro’s Board of Directors to keep them abreast of programmatic strategies and challenges.
The COO will work closely with the CEO and her/his peers (the Chief Financial Officer, Director of Development, and Sr. US Operations Manager), and will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the operational aspects of the annual budget. Finally, the COO will cultivate existing relationships with public and private funders.
myAgro is a startup social enterprise with plans for rapid and substantial growth. The ideal COO candidate will have an outstanding track record of organizational leadership, program innovation, and management of complex projects and diverse teams. The ideal candidate will have a highly entrepreneurial mindset, and will be comfortable “rolling up their sleeves” when required. Successful candidates must speak French fluently.
Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget;
- Lead the performance management process, measuring and evaluating the organization’s progress against goals;
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for all staff; bridge national, regional, and US operations; and support a culture of collaboration and openness to feedback.
Program Operational Leadership
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs;
- Identify opportunities for myAgro to leverage cross-programmatic strengths to pursue new opportunities and/or address organizational challenges;
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain myAgro’s high-performing senior management team, with an emphasis on developing capacity in strategic analysis, planning, program budgeting, team development, and retention. This includes managing the teams responsible for:
- Country Programs (Mali and Senegal)
- Planning, budgets and reporting
- Program execution and deliverables, including reaching impact targets
- R&D to increase farmer impact and cost-effectiveness of the program
- Hiring, development and retention of a high performing team
- Lead the development of myAgro’s unique mobile layaway platform
- Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems to support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall.
- Supply Chain & Agriculture
- Develop the seed and fertilizer supply chains for supporting the business and planned growth
- Develop the agricultural acumen and trainings necessary to increase impact and technical adoption amongst farmers.
- Country Programs (Mali and Senegal)
- Develop and implement training programs and retreats to expand the capacity of all staff;
- Develop a scorecard tracking key initiatives and targets across departments; oversee the M&E capacity to implement the scorecard;
- Prepare and submit an annual operational budget, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered;
- Ensure the continued financial viability of myAgro’s operational units through sound fiscal management.
Strategic Plan Implementation & Relationship Management
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic plan implementation processes with the CEO and team;
- Coach program directors/VPs as they implement the strategic plan and transition program operations;
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation;
- Report to the board on program progress, work with the CEO and Director of Development to complete reports to the board, partners and funders.
- French and English fluency required
- A minimum of 7-10 years professional experience with at least 2-5 years in a senior leadership role. Preferably your background is a mix of non-profit and corporate roles, with experience implementing projects in developing countries.
- Excellent track-record in organizational management, program strategy, and development of high-performance teams.
- Significant experience in program budgeting and fiscal management.
- Experience in partnership development, tech innovations, and/or scaling-stage organizations highly desirable.
Additionally, you should possess the following:
- Passion for myAgro and our mission. You approach your work with the needs and realities of the farmers we serve in the front of your mind.
- Exceptional and creative problem solving skills. You can work effectively in challenging and resource-constrained environments, and you’re comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, startup environment in a developing country. Flexibility, a sense of humor, an open mind, and a diligent work ethic are necessary for success.
- A track record of consistently exceeding expectations when dealing with beneficiaries, partners and volunteers.
- Compensation is competitive with other early-stage social enterprises
- 2 round-trip flights between West Africa and your home annually
- Travel and emergency insurance; Comprehensive health insurance by 2016
- Flexible work schedule and generous vacation benefits
- Stipend for language lessons (Bambara or Wolof)
- Make a significant impact on the growth and direction of a growing social enterprise; and see the immediate impact of helping families move beyond subsistence farming!
This is an unaccompanied position. There are no additional benefits for spouses and very limited support for dependents. However, those applying are welcome to have their spouse independently apply if they are qualified for an open position.
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by November 15, 2015.
Members of the West African diaspora are especially encouraged to apply!