Chief Technical Officer
- BURN Manufacturing USA LLC
- Ruiru, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
BURN designs, manufactures, and distributes aspirational improved cooking products that save lives and forests in the developing world. BURN is the leading cookstove company in Sub-Saharan Africa and has revolutionized the global cookstove sector by proving the business case for selling high quality, locally manufactured, and unsubsidized cookstoves. Since 2013, BURN has sold 350,000 improved cookstoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 1,500,000+ beneficiaries save $52 million in fuel expenditures and 1,156,221 tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is looking for a Chief Technical Officer who will be based from BURN’s modern, solar-powered manufacturing facility in Nairobi, Kenya. Their overall responsibility will be to bring new products through the product development process and launch them into the factory, including design, testing, engineering, process development, and developing/launching new production lines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the smooth technical operation of the factory. Response to breakdowns in the factory, including root cause analysis, engineering solutions, and troubleshooting.
• Team management of engineers, testing, maintenance and workshop. Work closely with designers, market research, factory management, Quality Control.
• Develop SOP’s, WI, specs, tolerances, QA processes and procedures.
• Spec, source, install and commission equipment.
• Design and produce production forming assembly and QC tooling as well as custom factory equipment. Develop and maintain factory processes.
• Oversee initial production of new products.
• Create and adhere to budgets and timelines.
• Equipment selection and startup.
• Sheet metal fabrication techniques.
• General machine shop knowledge, including CNC equipment.
• Must have launched at least 1 production line.
• Must have developed at least 1 consumer product.
• Jig and fixture design.
• Tool and die or mould experience.
• Working knowledge of materials, specifically metals and plastics.
• Basic Knowledge and troubleshooting of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems.
• Degree in engineering.
• Experience working in Africa is a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Start date is flexible and within Q1 and Q2 2018.
To be considered, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org