Climate-Focused Impact Associate
- Y Analytics
- Washington, D.C
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please send your resume and response to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Climate Associate Application”.
- Where to Apply
Application Instructions: In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare a 1-page response to the prompt below. Please send your resume and response to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Climate Associate Application”.
Application Prompt (please limit your response to a single page or less):
Part I: Imagine you are assessing the climate-related risk for an investment portfolio of private companies in the energy sector. Please describe
(1) how would you conduct desktop research to “get smart” on the various risks posed by climate change; and
(2) how would you segment the energy sector and determine which types of risk are most material for the companies in the portfolio, including what sources and data you would use.
Part II: TPG is considering investing in an alternative protein company (Target A) that manufactures and distributes a substitute for beef.
(1) outline the top three impact pathways (i.e., pathways by which investment in Target A could drive positive or negative social and environmental impact, relative to what would have occurred without the investment) you would explore for Target A
(2) for one of these impact pathways, briefly describe how you might quantify the impact, including what data points would be needed, and what assumptions would you need to make.
ABOUT Y ANALYTICS & THE ASSOCIATE ROLE
Y Analytics is TPG’s innovative capability, purpose-built to understand and improve the environmental and social impacts of deployed capital. Their mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN SDGs, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital.
Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise to provide best-in-class insights and tools that improve capital allocation decisions. Their rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and impact valuation. They serve The Rise Fund platform ($4+ billion under management) and this role will directly support climate- focused aspects of The Rise Fund, working directly on their recently-announced Rise Climate fund.
Y Analytics is also responsible for managing sustainability/ESG across TPG. They support TPG and its portfolio companies by assessing and advising on value creation through Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) performance. This role will support their decarbonization and climate resilience work in the TPG portfolio.
As they continue to grow, they are leveraging their capabilities in new and innovative ways and sharing their learnings with the broader investment and research communities.
The Associate will support Y Analytics’ ESG and impact assessments, data analysis and content development. Their primary responsibilities will include:
• Conducting impact-related diligence of potential Climate-focused investments and portfolio companies for The Rise Fund, Rise Climate, and across TPG investment platforms. Impact assessments are integral to TPG’s investment and portfolio management processes. This work requires a combination of desk research and data analysis to assess the risk, performance, and impact of a company through an environmental, social and governance lens, with particular attention paid to climate-related factors. The Associate will play a key role in quantifying the potential climate impact (e.g., avoided greenhouse gas emissions) of potential investments. An inquisitive mindset, self-direction, and pragmatic client service orientation are assets given the rigor and turnaround times of private equity deal flow.
• Analyzing impact, operational, and financial data to baseline, benchmark, and enhance climate performance across the TPG portfolio. The Associate will help develop methodologies for climate-related analyses, including generating insights on financed emissions within the TPG portfolio, assessing portfolio exposure to climate risk, and identifying and implementing opportunities for reducing portfolio emissions and building climate resilience.
• Engagement with portfolio companies to design and advise on implementation of emissions reduction and climate resilience strategies. The Associate will work directly with portfolio companies to advise on climate-related factors such as emissions reduction levers, target setting, and risk management / resilience. The Associate will also develop educational content to support portfolio companies in building and implementing their climate strategy, touching on a number of relevant topics (e.g., TCFD, science-based targets, carbon footprint calculation, etc.).
• Other research and content development as needed. The Associate will play a cross-functional role and will help support the team as they continue to grow. Additional responsibilities may include: developing thought leadership or other external-facing content around areas of firm expertise; developing climate-related educational content for investment professionals, conducting deep dives and analysis related to a particular climate-related impact sector or research theme.
• 1 to 3 years of full-time work experience. Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of experience in consulting, financial services, research and analytics, or ESG/impact focused professional services, with a specific focus on climate change, energy, environmental sustainability, or related topic areas.
• A degree in Environmental/Earth Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Energy Resource Engineering, Environmental Sustainability, Business, Social Impact, Economics, Public Administration/Policy, with coursework in climate change
• Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and their planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
• Strong strategic thinker and problem solver: must be able to navigate challenges (e.g., data gaps) with creative problem-solving ability and a can-do attitude
• Strong sense of ownership and self-direction: must be able to drive work forward independently, self-guide research and lines of inquiry for diligence efforts, and deliver high quality, highly polished outputs
• Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to senior leaders
• Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to quickly and accurately analyze company and third-party data and generate practical insights
• Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a teamwork-heavy, cross- functional environment
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Other Desirable Characteristics
• Positive and solutions-oriented attitude, with a drive for excellence
• Entrepreneurial nature; should be comfortable taking initiative to build beyond what is called for in a narrow action plan
• Commitment to fairness, ethical behavior, and listening to / valuing others’ opinions
• Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences; values diversity and its importance to an organization’s performance
• Sense of humility and humor