Climate Smart Agriculture Consultant
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Climate Smart Agriculture Consultant” by October 15, 2021
- Where to Apply
Climate Smart Agriculture – Consultancy
Reporting/Supervisor: Director, Business Development
Contract: 3 months, with possible extension
Travel: 10% travel
I. Who they are
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is a pioneering social business builder that is revolutionizing food systems in LAC. Acceso’s mission is to create fundamental and lasting economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Their pioneering social enterprises in Colombia, Haiti, and El Salvador, which work end-to-end across local value chains, provide smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper.
Acceso is in the process of scaling its innovative agtech Extensio (www.extensio.mx) across LAC. Acting as a digital field agent, Extensio employs mobile communication (WhatsApp/SMS) to provide farmers and actors in agricultural value chains with timely information for decision-making: weather forecasts, pest and disease alerts, climate-smart agricultural practices, good agricultural practices, crop-specific information, and market information. Extensio’s services have reached 24,000 farmers in Mexico, Colombia, El Salvador, Ecuador, and Haiti. Extensio is a certified Mexican B-Corporation, elected Best for the World 2021 for its impact in food value chains.
As part of the scaling process and with support from a recent USAID award, Acceso is documenting and building out its climate smart agriculture practices across multiple countries. Climate-smart agriculture (CSA), as defined by the FAO, is an approach that helps to guide actions needed to transform and reorient agricultural systems to effectively support development and ensure food security in a changing climate. CSA aims to tackle three main objectives: sustainably increasing agricultural productivity and incomes; adapting and building resilience to climate change; and reducing and/or removing greenhouse gas emissions, where possible.
II. Position Description
The Climate-smart Agriculture (CSA) Consultant will play a key role in guiding and formalizing Acceso’s CSA strategy and building CSA modules as part of a growing, entrepreneurial team. The role will have specific deliverables during the three-month consultancy term.
III. Essential Functions
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the consultancy if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this consultancy.
Advise and guide overall CSA strategy
• Conduct a capacity needs assessment to address knowledge and technical gaps for the adoption of climate smart initiatives, coordinating with field teams
• Develop a framework for Acceso’s ongoing CSA strategy
• Develop and provide training to Acceso and Extensio teams on key CSA themes
Knowledge building and module development
• Facilitate knowledge building on CSA issues; support with the documenting of existing Acceso CSA practices into training manuals
• Analyse and advise on CSA issues faced by farmers in Latin America and the Caribbean
• Develop Extensio content modules on CSA
• Research complementary programs and resources in Acceso’s countries that farmers can be referred to
• Support the preparation of reports on Acceso’s CSA strategy
• Help develop and review communication materials, with a focus on CSA practices
• Support the creation of strategic partnerships related to Acceso’s CSA strategy; liaise with partners as needed
IV. Education, Work Experience & Languages
Education: Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agriculture, climate change, environmental sciences or other closely related field; master’s degree preferred
• At least 3 years of working experience in/with climate-smart agriculture, climate change, agriculture or forestry related programs/projects; experience in Latin America and the Caribbean strongly preferred
• Knowledge of agricultural practices and production, soil science, and climate change
• Experience working with government institutions and local communities
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Experience in organizing and conducting trainings
• Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills
• Strong project management skills and ability to work independently
• Team player
• Experience with technology is a plus
• Work/volunteering experience with rural or low-income communities is ideal
• Passion and commitment to social impact
• Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications
Languages: Fluency in Spanish and English, both verbal and written, required.