Communications Director, Center for Financial Inclusion
- Where to Apply
The Director is responsible for developing and executing the marketing and communications strategy for the Center for Financial Inclusion (CFI), in alignment with Accion’s broader communications strategy. The role is responsible for ensuring CFI’s communications and stakeholder engagement objectives are robustly advanced across digital, publications and events through CFI’s web and social media presence, collateral materials, publications, email communications, and events. The Director contributes to maintaining and promoting the brand, reputation and image of the Center.
The role reports to the Managing Director of CFI and is a member of the Accion Extended Communications Team.
The ideal candidate is a capable communications strategist and writer/editor, with expertise in web platforms and social media, who enjoys working with and closely managing a team, is highly organized and attentive to detail, and has a lively personal interest in microfinance or financial inclusion.
DIGITAL: Oversee CFI websites, especially the blog, and play a leadership role in guiding CFI teams on all external-facing website products and governance. Oversee multimedia and social media content creation. Oversee the production of occasional CFI videos and/or podcasts.
PUBLICATIONS: Oversee the Center’s publications development from initial layout and design to publication and distribution. Serve as the on-staff editor for all publications. Work with authors and vendors, establish production timetables to ensure publications are produced at a high standard and timely fashion. Oversee the development, timeliness and quality of collateral materials for external audiences.
MANAGEMENT: Manage a team of two, as well as vendors, consultants, and budget related to communications.
STRATEGY: Develop and implement CFI’s communications strategy, in consultation with Accion’s Chief Communications Officer. Act as a resource for subject matter experts. Provide counsel, training and/or strategies to CFI colleagues on matters relating to communications. Set targets for growing our audiences. Be prepared to support or draw upon other members of the Accion extended communications team in a flexible way to ensure that needs are met, especially during crunch periods.
OTHER: Oversee communications support for CFI events. Ensure that CFI’s contact management processes (e.g. Salesforce database) are up to date and functioning so that CFI can effectively stay in touch with its stakeholders.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of communications.
- At least 8+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience managing a blog is a plus.
- Experience in writing, editing, proofreading, and oral communications: overseeing or directly writing, editing and producing digital content.
- Well versed with multimedia and social media;
- Experience with managing publication layout and design.
- Ability to conceive and execute communications strategies and tactical dissemination plans.
- Experience managing corporate or non-profit communications activities, preferably in financial inclusion, fintech, or a related sector.
- Experience comprehending complex information and translating it into accessible language.
- English language fluency required; Spanish or French language fluency a significant plus.