- Khartoum, Sudan
- Job Type
- Full-time, Contract
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting Communications Manager for our program in Sudan, which operates as the American Refugee Committee (ARC). You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Based in Khartoum, you’ll lead the development and management of ARC Sudan’s communications strategy, stakeholder engagement, and strategic communications program implementation. You’ll be guided by, and receive support from Heidi Diedrich, the Country Director, as well as numerous team members from the country office and throughout the field operations in Darfur. Simply put, your scope of work within the team will be to develop and implement ideas and products that tell the story of ARC Sudan to enable the team to find others to support achievement of our strategic objectives.
You’ll know you’re doing well if you…
• Use your creativity to develop and implement strategic communications initiatives that tell the stories of our team, our customers, and our partners
• Help us find others through a full range of communications initiatives and tools, broadening our network of like-minded organizations, people, and communities to ensure an human-centered approach to the work we do
• Bring big ideas and then do the doable in advancing communications goals to increase interest in, and support for displaced and host community populations in Sudan
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well.
For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Strategic Communications – 90%
Develop and implement an awareness strategy that targets key audiences in the donor, government, United Nations, international non-governmental organization, and broader international community
Identify and develop key communications messages and provide staff training to ensure consistency and uniformity in organizational positioning
Develop external products including video, photography, and print and digital collateral that tells the story of ARC Sudan and globally advances the interests of, and support for the people we serve
Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and bringing your ideas on how we can better serve our customers and raise awareness of their needs at the global, regional, and national levels
Lead internal communications efforts in a way that unleashes the abundance of our entire team and motivates our colleagues and volunteers to bravely be better, do the doable, and find others to advance the interests of the people we serve
New or Interesting Projects – 10%
Lean into the things you love and spark your interest, within or outside your team. We need you to honor the work that you’ve committed to doing, but also know that when you are unleashed, so are we. You will have the opportunity make your mark on the ARC Sudan program by establishing a strategic vision for its communications program.
Dive deep into the ARC Sudan program, which is in its 15th year of serving displaced populations and host communities in Sudan, to innovate new ways to tell its story in a way that honors the people of Sudan, the complex context in which we operate, and elevates.
Act as a beat reporter in the field, unearthing stories to help position and frame the dialogue around displacement and host communities support in what is today one of the longest protracted humanitarian crises globally.
Identity and recommend new or interesting projects that elevate the story of Sudan’s displaced populations at the global, regional, and national levels.
These are the things we’re aiming to find. However, we’re open to being surprised. If you embody the spirt of Alight, care deeply about the cause, and if you bring something else that’s special, then please reach out.
• At least 5 years of experience telling the story of an organization and its people, particularly in challenging situations
• The strongest writing, editing, and story-telling skills of anyone you know
• The ability to talk to anyone, but, more importantly, an ability to listen carefully, compassionately, and intently so that you can tell the stories of displaced and host populations honestly and with integrity and a unwavering commitment to preserve the dignity of those we serve
• A proven track record of working with the media in multiple countries with a demonstrated understanding of crisis communications and issues management, as well as developing trusting relationships with the press
• The ability to create a plan from scratch, and inspire others to help you achieve it
• A high comfort level with leading by example and taking initiative to do the doable in the best interest of the people we serve, the work we do, and our colleagues and partners
• An ability to inspire and motivate colleagues, partners, supporters, and others through your strategic communications skills
• An appreciation for confidentiality and understanding of how to mitigate risk for the populations we serve and the organization when pursuing communications objectives.
• Built a communications program from the ground up, with a comfort level providing the strategic vision for the program and a passion for rolling up your sleeves and diving into the work
• A comfort working independently and with all levels of an organization, with experience representing the senior leadership team with media, supporters, government representatives, and others in the United States, Europe, and Africa
• Worked with all forms of media—are better at some than others—and you know what it takes to create inspiring video, photography, digital content and print materials that move people to action
You strive for…
• Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
• Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
• Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
• Joy. Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
• Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
• Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.