Community Development Fellowship for Mercado Global
- Mercado Global
- Panajachel, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
Mercado Global is a social enterprise with an innovative approach to fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Guatemala. By providing business development support and
connecting artisan cooperatives to sales opportunities in the U.S. on an unprecedented scale, Mercado Global is helping its partner artisans to be a source of change in global sourcing practices.
Mercado Global provides capacity-building workshops for our partner artisans in various program areas. The purpose of this fellowship is to further develop and finalize the community-based education curricula that are utilized in these workshops. The fellow will work with the Community-Based Education Program Director and trainers to strengthen our existing curricula, identify areas where new curricula is needed, and to develop these new curricula in areas such as nutrition, women\’s health (family planning, cervical cancer, stress), hygiene, women\’s empowerment, domestic violence, and leadership. The fellow will also help identify potential strategic partners to advance the program goals, including NGOs and INGOs operating in Guatemala that could provide complimentary curriculum and services to our partner artisans.
Please note this position is located in our office in Panajachel, Guatemala and requires a 3-month minimum commitment. This is an unpaid fellowship.
Key Responsibilities in collaboration with the Training Coordinators:
- Improve current curriculum and help develop top priority new curriculum (curricula is written in Spanish)
- Identify and assess potential local NGO & INGO partners
- Assist with evaluation development and implementation in areas such as nutrition, women’s health (family planning, cervical cancer, stress), hygiene, women\’s empowerment and leadership.
- Proficiency in Spanish, verbal and written, is required
- Experience developing and conducing trainings in rural communities
- Extremely organized, able to organize notes, feedback, and survey responses into a format to incorporate into curriculum changes
- Preferred knowledge or interest in at least one of the following issue areas: market access, rural business development, financial literacy, and health & nutrition
- Must have undergraduate degree or be currently enrolled
- Graduate degree in related field a plus
- Full- time commitment required
- Experience working in Latin American a plus, but not required
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission
Please send cover letter and resume, indicating “Community Development Fellow” in the subject of email. Please note all items for submission are mandatory for your application to be considered.