- All Star Code
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- If you would like to apply for this job, please visit this page: http://bit.ly/1ORoF3QFor questions, please email email@example.comApplication Deadline: October 19, 2015, Monday @ midnight.
If you would like to apply for this job, please visit this page:
ABOUT ALL STAR CODE
All Star Code (ASC) is a youth education nonprofit-startup dedicated to closing the opportunity gap between young men of color and the tech industry. ASC prepares high school males of color (14 – 17 years old) for tech careers through providing mentorship, industry exposure, and training in Computer Science (CS). Unlike most coding programs that focus solely on CS skills, we teach our students interpersonal skills in a tech startup context.
Through year-round events, our 6-week Summer Intensive program, and ongoing alumni activities, young men of color gain the skills, networks, and system know-how needed to become the next generation of tech leaders. Ultimately, our alumni will establish tech careers that boost American innovation, create jobs, equalize opportunity, and help companies leverage the untapped talent of minority communities.
All Star Code At-a-glance:
- Founded in 2013
- Offices in NYC at the Center for Social Innovation.
- Featured in Fast Company, the New York Times, Bloomberg, and PBS NewsHour.
All Star Code is looking for a passionate, entrepreneurial self-starter to serve as our Community Manager. This is a great opportunity to be the founding manager of a new program and an integral part of our dynamic team that is experiencing rapid growth. You are self-motivated, resourceful and excited to work in the tech sector. You are eager to develop new partnerships, cultivate relationships, and build effective systems in this pioneering position. The Community Manager will report to ASC’s Founder and Executive Director Christina Lewis Halpern and will work in parallel with our Program Manager.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE…
Leading Our Alumni Accelerator.
- Owning the management of our new alumni program.
- Cultivating community among our 60 Summer Intensive alumni and our broader pool of past participants.
- Designing and executing components of our new alumni accelerator program, including:
- Generating year-round alumni work opportunities.
- Developing continued educational opportunities.
- Building strategic relationships in the tech community.
- Collecting and reporting program metrics.
Collecting and Managing Student and Program Data.
- Tracking alumni progress in skills development.
- Managing alumni work evaluations and preparing reports on individual and cohort-based professional progress.
Connecting Alumni with Opportunities and Resources.
- Building a portfolio of volunteer and internship opportunities with technology and tech-focused companies, both large and small.
- Designing, securing, and placing our alums in internship opportunities (volunteer and paid) that further develop their CS, coding, and business soft skills.
- Sharing educational resources with alumni.
- Convening workshops and other student events to deepen their knowledge and increase their employability.
- Coordinating logistics for All Star Code internship-related workshops, field trips, or related alumni events.
Cultivating Relationships with Tech Companies and Professionals.
- Building a network of technology partners that supports All Star Code’s mission and provides internship opportunities for our top-notch students of color.
- Engaging a network of tech professionals that serve as mentors and program volunteers.
- Recruiting and working with volunteer tech professionals to create informal mentoring opportunities.
Connecting the All Star Code community via Social Media.
- Communicating with and highlighting partners’ work through All Star Code’s social media channels.
- Promoting our alumni’s success with community partners.
- Sharing valuable information regarding diversity in tech, academic opportunities, and networking events with the larger ASC community.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE…
- With 2-5 years of relevant experience in Education, Non-Profit, and/or Technology.
- Who is a natural connector and able to develop rapport quickly among diverse stakeholders; who is able to build strong relationships based on reciprocity.
- Who is an exceptional communicator; who is personable and naturally presents themselves with poise in a variety of situations.
- With a deep commitment to promoting diversity in the tech sector.
- Who brings a systems-oriented and logical approach to their work, knowing that processes are the foundation of successful and scalable programs.
- With outstanding project management skills; who is able to consistently hit project deadlines while juggling many competing priorities.
- With a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the tech industry; who has a desire to understand the marketplace and is motivated to stay with the current trends.
- Who is comfortable with data management tools (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Salesforce).
Bonus if you have…
- Experience working with high school or college-aged males and/or internships programs.
- Experience designing programs and a track record of securing organizational partnerships.
- Experience working at a startup.
HOW WILL WE KNOW YOU’RE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB?
Please complete the following application by 11:59 EST on Monday, October 19th. These short-answer questions are designed to replace a cover letter, please take your time with them and copy in your answers from a separate document. If you are chosen as a potential candidate, you will first be interviewed by ReWork and then by the All Star Code team. The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm details of your work history and performance.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your application!