- Agora Partnerships
- Santiago, Chile
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Consultant will serve as an integral member of Agora’s Accelerator Team and is critical to ensuring that a consistent and quality consulting experience is delivered to all Accelerator companies. Agora Consultants act as advisors, strategists, connectors, community builders, and executors to help purpose-driven entrepreneurs access the knowledge, networks and capital they need to grow their businesses. Agora Consultants’ work is critical to building efficient early-stage capital markets and to helping impact investors address their barriers to investment, including under-prepared deal flow, high transaction costs, and few co-investment opportunities.
Consultants form the core of the Agora Accelerator program, typically working with approximately five companies on growth and investment strategy per cycle. Consultants work under the direction of the Accelerator Manager and have significant responsibility, autonomy, and opportunity to consult with entrepreneurs in the Agora community and to collaborate with mentors and investors in the Agora Network.
This is a 6-month or 12-month contract position starting July 17, 2017.
Beginning in 2017, Agora is delivering the Accelerator across two cycles annually, each cycle serving 25 to 30 companies. The first cycle is occurring February to June and the second will occur July to November.
The Consultant will join the Accelerator Team in Mexico for training and the Entrepreneur Retreat from July 17 to August 9, 2017. After the Retreat, the Consultant will transition to Santiago, Chile, where they will oversee consulting with companies during the second Accelerator cycle of 2017 (Aug – Nov). The Consultant may continue through the first Accelerator cycle of 2018, which will begin with an Entrepreneur Retreat in February 2018, followed by a four-month consulting period (Feb – May) with a new set of companies.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Consultant’s primary role is to lead growth and investment strategy consulting with growing social businesses in Latin America. Consultants often also support strategic initiatives aligned with their interests.
1. Business Consultant
The Consultant will work closely with the leadership teams of approximately five companies in the Agora Accelerator, helping them to refine their business models, prepare for growth, and raise outside capital. The role is designed for passionate change-makers who want to lead strategic consulting with social businesses and co-create investable opportunities throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Consultants work with their portfolio companies to create a customized consulting approach, founded on Agora’s consulting methodology, in order to address the specific challenges of each company. While the consulting is a mix of virtual and in-person interaction, a major effort is made to match Consultants to companies located nearby. Consultants have a modest travel stipend to visit each company in their portfolio.
Major Consultant responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Entrepreneur Retreat: The Retreat brings together entrepreneurs to learn and collaborate at the start of each Accelerator cycle with the Agora Team, investors, and mentors. Consultants develop content, support execution, and build relationships with portfolio companies during the Retreat.
• Diagnostic: Consultants begin consulting with a diagnostic phase to understand the company history, current state, business model, and key challenges. This allows the Consultant to customize and structure the consulting process to meet the specific needs of each company and maximizes their success in the Accelerator. The diagnostic process begins at the Agora Entrepreneur Retreat.
• Business Model Refinement: Consultants work with entrepreneurs through the consulting process to analyze key aspects of each company’s business model, impact metrics, operational strategy, and financial results with the aim of creating solutions and forming a strategic growth plan.
• Investment Preparedness: The ultimate goal of the Accelerator is to facilitate investment into Accelerator companies, which requires a clear and convincing communication of each company’s value proposition, impact, growth strategy, and capital needs to investors. The Consultant will work with each company to create professional, investor-facing materials that may include an executive summary, strategic growth plan, financial model, investment memo, pitch deck, and/or due diligence folder. Select Consultants may also facilitate investor matchmaking and/or Investment Roundtables.
2. Lead of Strategic Initiatives
The Agora Accelerator is a close team of approximately 12 passionate professionals based throughout Latin America. As such, Consultants will have significant opportunities to take on leadership roles and contribute to strategic initiatives within Agora. Strategic initiatives vary greatly in nature, and may include:
• Partnerships: Developing new country-level partnerships with government institutions, investors, funders, or accelerators to expand the reach of Agora and solidify its field office presence;
• Consulting: Establishing new consulting services and improving quality of consulting approaches for past, current and future Agora Accelerator cycles;
• Funding initiatives: Reporting on company status for funders, investor/mentor matchmaking for portfolio companies, and providing general support for Agora investment initiatives;
• Client Relationships: Leading development and maintenance of relationships with past, current, and future Agora Accelerator companies, including design and facilitation of country-level events;
• Recruiting and Selection: Identifying and recruiting top entrepreneurs from across Latin America and the Caribbean and participating in the interview and judging process, helping to select exceptional companies for future Accelerator cycles.
• Additional projects may include financial innovation, Investor Network engagement, marketing and communications, impact measurement, or alumni services.
We seek outstanding candidates with the strategic business and problem-solving skills necessary to help high-potential companies in Latin America to grow their businesses. The qualifications required include:
• Approximately 3 to 5 years of work experience related to management consulting, capital advisory or investment, venture capital, financial management, and/or business strategy;
• Postgraduate degree in business, economics, international development or related field or equivalent professional experience;
• Experience building business plans, financial models, and pitch decks;
• Experience managing projects and working with start-up businesses in emerging markets;
• Experience working in social entrepreneurship or impact investing a plus;
• International work experience; and,
• Fluency in English and Spanish.
We are seeking passionate leaders seeking to support social entrepreneurs. Ideal candidates exhibit Agora’s core values of agency, empathy, curiosity, and perseverance. Though there is no “ideal” professional profile for this position, we seek the following qualifications in a candidate:
• Strong interpersonal skills and intercultural competency;
• Comfort with ambiguity, adaptability and ability to work in a small, dynamic organization;
• Strong work ethic;
• Ability to self-manage and execute on multiple projects at once;
• Attention to detail;
• Time management skills; and,
• Sense of joy and humor.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Agora Partnerships provides Consultants the following:
• Monthly stipend of $1,750 to cover cost of living;
• Comfortable workspace in a local co-working office;
• Stipend to cover transportation and lodging while in Mexico for training and Entrepreneur Retreat;
• Stipend to cover transportation and lodging for visits to portfolio companies;
• International travel emergency medical insurance;
• Reimbursement of any travel visa fees incurred;
• Access to Agora Partnerships´ professional networks and their services (such as ANDE, GLG, B Lab /Sistema B, and Impact Hub);
• Opportunities to attend industry conferences (with travel stipend and attendance covered); and,
• Access to networking events, an extensive network of professionals, peer support networks, and industry experts.
This is a six or twelve-month contract position. Various opportunities within Agora exist for Consultants to continue based on mutual interest. These include continuing to consult in future Accelerator cycles, as well as periodic fulltime opportunities on the Agora Accelerator Team.
Please apply be sending your CV, cover letter, and two references to Brian Bell, Accelerator Manager, at email@example.com. The application deadline is June 11, 2017.
Agora Partnerships’ purpose is to accelerate the shift to a sustainable economy by unleashing the potential of entrepreneurs who are building purpose-driven companies that create social and environmental impact throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Agora Partnerships accomplishes this through the Agora Accelerator, a four-month program designed to provide entrepreneurs with access to the knowledge, networks, and capital they need to grow their businesses and their impact. Since 2011, the Agora Accelerator has served 156 companies working in 19 countries across Latin America and the Caribbean and catalyzed more than US$69 million in investment into these companies. Learn more at www.agorapartnerships.org.
We believe in the power of entrepreneurship to solve the world’s greatest challenges, such as climate change, poverty, inequality, and others as outlined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Yet too many entrepreneurs face nearly insurmountable odds. We are committed to leveling the playing field for entrepreneurs by finding innovative ways to drive investment and support into the people and ideas that will make our world a better place. Agora has partnered with the Inter-American Development Bank and other funders to support 140 high-potential companies over the next three years (2016-2018).