Content Curator, Office of the CEO
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
CONTENT CURATOR, OFFICE THE CEO
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $101 million in 92 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
The Content Curator will play an instrumental role in developing core speech and presentation content for our founder and CEO, Jacqueline Novogratz. The Content Curator will be responsible for building speech frameworks and/or outlines, remarks, talking points, and visual presentations for the CEO, and from time to time for other members of the management team. In addition, the Content Curator will monitor daily a variety of channels, including the news, for articles and speeches given by other leaders in the field and synthesize material of relevance to the CEO and the work of the organization. The Content Curator, as part of the Office of the CEO, will also share in the responsibilities of researching and preparing briefing documents for key events, reviewing and vetting meetings, conferences and speaking opportunities, developing and updating presentation materials (PowerPoint and/or Keynote) and assisting with internal and social media communications.
Reporting to the senior staff member of the Office of the CEO with a dotted line to the Global Head of Brand Strategy and Communications, the Content Curator is uniquely positioned in that s/he partners closely with the CEO, management team and key leaders globally to develop and curate content and ensure that key messages are consistently communicated. As a dual member of both the Office of the CEO and the Communications team, the Content Curator will also assist on special projects related to broader communication initiatives.
This position is multi-faceted and will require equal time and dedication in the areas of speech content, presentation creation, content curation, research and briefing support as well as internal communications. A high degree of professionalism, discretion and flexibility is required. Success in this role will be defined by the individual\’s ability to think strategically and “connect the dots;” synthesize and distill complex information about Acumen’s work, insights and the broader sector landscape; craft a variety of clear and persuasive communications; deliver editorial excellence; collaborate effectively with key internal and external partners; and remain highly organized and efficient in the midst of a fast paced environment. This role will embrace feedback and editorial direction and integrate this feedback into all aspects material development.
Research and content creation:
• Research and develop content for our CEO’s speaking engagements and presentations, as well as other communication such as blogs, correspondence, videos, articles and internal communications
• Project manage briefing content, facts and figures including liaising with content experts internally and externally
• Curate an online library of relevant briefing materials on key subject matters for utilizing within the team and key members of the organization; develop systems for effective sharing of content
• Fact check, validate data, insights and messaging to use in content and presentations in conjunction with internal subject matter experts
• Review on a daily basis news and issues relevant to Acumen’s work and effectively translate to serve the CEO’s messaging via social media and other outlets
• Provide ongoing editorial support for op-eds and blog posts, as well as the management and transcription of journals and other writings
• Ensure timely execution of team and global updates and tracking of ideas, events and issues of concern
Manage executive presence:
• Work with other members of the Communications and Marketing team on the timely and effective evaluation of incoming speaking invitations, media opportunities and meetings with key influencers for the CEO globally
• Manage executive briefings and preparation for a variety of external appearances, C-level and board meetings, and regional visits, conducting research and writing when necessary
• Liaise with relevant stakeholders such as country office directors, conference organizers and others to ensure CEO is adequately prepped and “in the know;” exercise good judgment to set expectations and ensure time is well spent in the field
• Support the CEO’s social media presence working closely with communications
• Write and deliver effective communications that explain and manage change in support of new initiatives, processes and senior leaders
• Provide research and writing support to both the CEO and Global Head of Brand Strategy and Communications on additional projects and special initiatives on an ad-hoc basis
• Contribute to the coordination of activities such as Town Hall meetings, “brown bag” conversations, and monthly staff updates from the CEO and other members of our senior Management Committee
Who You Are
First and foremost, you are intensely curious about the world and passionate about what it takes to solve poverty. You are a team player who shares Acumen’s values. You are a superior writer and thinker-doer who is excellent at execution and possesses a strong attention to detail. You are the kind of person who will excel at balancing the strategic and tactical responsibilities of this role.
• Bachelor\’s degree required; Minimum of three to four years of work experience ideally in supporting an executive, entrepreneur, political or advocacy leader
• Prior experience in executive communications, speechwriting, messaging, content development and/or presentation development (PowerPoint or Keynote) required
• Exceptional listener and communicator—written, oral and visual—with a high attention to detail; demonstrated ability to synthesize many different ideas, connecting the dots and crafting rich content for a diversity of audiences
• Familiarity with issues related to poverty as well as the macro environment for philanthropy, the impact investing and social enterprise sectors, key Fortune 500 companies and their leaders, NGOs, venture capital firms, and/or capital markets preferred
• Superior research and analytical skills
• Ability to think both strategically and tactically, ensuring both big-picture and smaller-scale assignments are performed with excellence; commitment to flawless execution in all assignments
• Skilled in social media engagement, content & tactics
• Professionalism, poise and discretion related to working with senior executives; ability to collaborate effectively with different colleagues and personalities, at all levels both externally and internally, and across a variety of functions and geographies
• Proven success managing time, opportunities and engagement for senior management
• Flexibility – alternative hours required from time to time; as well as ad-hoc travel in support of key conferences, presentations and high-level meetings
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
• Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
• Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits and a 401K.
New York, NY
Please attach your resume, cover letter and a writing example (short or long format).
Priority deadline of June 3, rolling review thereafter. Position start-date anticipated between late July and early August.
Apply here: http://bit.ly/1WuzzBW