Country Director – India
- Upaya Social Ventures
- New Delhi, India
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
India Director Position Available
Upaya lifts the poorest of the poor through job creation, not hand-outs. We promote employers, working long-term to maximize lasting job opportunities for those who need it most. We build a ladder out of extreme poverty, creating lasting impact in communities around the world. Since 2011, we have supported 12 small and growing businesses in India with investments and expertise; our partners have created more than 4,000 jobs as of December 2016.
Upaya Social Ventures India is a Private Limited Company that provides services to a US-based NGO. The Private Limited is seeking a full-time Director to lead the India team. This position will be based in Delhi.
The Director’s primary responsibility will be to lead our team of fantastic professionals in identifying, coaching and investing in early-stage companies across India. Upaya’s India Director will represent the company in industry settings and will be responsible for raising our visibility and attracting excellent early stage enterprises to apply for our programs. In addition, this role will have administrative responsibilities of ensuring proper accounting and compliance and integration with US-based partner NGO.
Reports to: Seattle, WA-based CEO
Serve as lead staff person in India, ensuring excellent program execution:
• Oversee Upaya Accelerator program:
o Supervise efforts to attract top-quality applications and design useful criteria to yield cohorts of strong participants
o Guide curriculum development and enable connections with subject matter experts to provide valuable content for participants
o Provide staff leadership to both cohort selection committee and ultimate investment committee
• Working with consultant Portfolio Director, oversee Upaya’s portfolio of investments, ensuring investees have the benefit of Upaya’s insights and support as they scale; report to Upaya US board on social metrics
• Serve as a member of Upaya’s management team and thought partner to the CEO, contributing to long-term strategy and team cohesion
• Oversee all Indian administration: accounting, audits, compliance, HR
Skills & Experience
• 7+ years of post-MBA work experience, demonstrated management expertise,
• Experience in impact investing, preferably with early stage companies
• Experience as an entrepreneur strongly preferred
• Excellent people management skills and demonstrated experience leading teams
• Competence in MS Office is required with a high level of proficiency in MS Excel
• Ability to work and communicate with cross country teams and diverse stakeholders
• Strong written and verbal communication (fluency required in English and Hindi)
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated environment
• Comfortable with travel to partner locations esp. far-away places like north-eastern states of India and impoverished communities
• Passionate about our mission to reduce extreme poverty
• Sense of humor and fun as well as strong work ethic and steadfast commitment to Upaya’s values: Community, Risk-Taking, Tenacity, Respect and Ownership
Interested candidates please send a resume with a covering letter that clearly articulates your commitment to our work and relevant expertise to:
The position is open until filled but resumes will be reviewed starting 12 June 2017.