Cross-team Lead, Communications and Technical Writing
- Dobility, Inc.
- Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Job Type
- Contact Information
We’re looking for an energetic and entrepreneurial individual to join our efforts to grow our business and achieve our social mission. Although we are a small, lean, and early-stage social enterprise, our product, SurveyCTO, has already been used by thousands of teams in roughly 150 countries. This position offers the opportunity to play a critical role owning communications and technical writing across three teams within Dobility: growth (40%), customer success (40%), and product (20%).
Candidates should be committed to Dobility’s mission of providing great technology to improve data for research, social, and public sector organizations. Current and former communications professionals with a talent for clear, direct, and concise writing; multi-project management skills; and the desire to join a driven team are encouraged to apply.
– Communications Planning: Work with the Director of Marketing and Strategic Engagement to design and maintain a communications strategic plan which details and schedules all projects across three teams: growth, customer success, and product.
– Marketing Content Generation: Write, edit, and distribute written content for marketing email campaigns, social media, website, external professional forums, tutorial videos, and blog articles ensuring brand messaging is clear, concise, and consistent throughout all communication deliverables.
– Technical Content Generation: Write, edit, and distribute technical articles and blog posts relevant to SurveyCTO and other technologies such as Stata, Python, R, etc.
– Distribution of Written Content: Draft, edit, and update website content via WordPress and email campaigns through MailChimp.
– Project Tracking and Reporting: For each project, track and report all results regularly to Director of Marketing and Strategic Engagement.
Customer Success (40%):
– Customer Success Content Generation: Work with Director of Customer Success to write, edit, and disburse help articles, internal customer success manuals, and revise existing product documentation.
– SurveyCTO User Onboarding Content Generation: Write, edit, and distribute materials for new users as they begin using SurveyCTO, such as onboarding emails, user manuals, and course materials.
– Content Generation: Work with the Director of Engineering and product team to write, edit, and distribute written material specific to SurveyCTO, such as help topics, error messages, and in-product “nudges.”
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. with limited travel. Particularly for those with longer commutes, flexible office and telecommuting schedules are possible.
About the organization:
Dobility, the company behind SurveyCTO, was founded by Dr. Christopher Robert, an early tech entrepreneur and CTO who left technology to live overseas, train in economics and public policy, then research and teach at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. His experience on the ground made him realize that the research and development sectors badly needed better technology to gather and manage data. Dobility’s mission is to help ensure that high-quality data is affordable, so that more decisions are based on good data (vs. bad data or no data).
Dobility differentiates itself in the market by providing unmatched reliability, affordability, and customer support. It is a fast-moving company with a motivated team that has spent time in the field to understand customers’ pain points first-hand.
About the product:
SurveyCTO is a survey and data-collection platform designed for the specific demands of doing research in developing countries and other challenging settings. It can be used online or offline, on web, tablet, or phone. Most often it’s used by surveyors in the field to perform guided interviews with survey respondents (“Computer Assisted Personal Interviews”). It protects against fraud by recording how long surveys take, audio recording when suspicious behavior is flagged, and employing statistical algorithms to look for anomalies in the data. It’s also an extraordinarily flexible platform that allows for advanced survey logic, pre-loading existing data into survey questions, and automatically merging incoming data into back-office applications like Excel.
SurveyCTO has been used to collect over three million survey submissions in roughly 150 countries by organizations such as the World Bank, Save the Children, Clinton Health Access Initiative, Innovations for Poverty Action, and many others. You can see other examples of organizations we work with on our website.
– Superior communications skills – both written and verbal.
– Writing style is clear, concise, and direct, with a talent for communicating with different types of audiences via different channels.
– Strong knowledge and experience authoring blog posts, technical articles, and other kinds of written work.
– Ability to own and manage multiple projects – short and long-term – and work across different teams simultaneously.
– Fast learner, able to both independently problem-solve and work collaboratively.
– Detail-oriented (e.g., cares that complement and compliment are different things).
– Obsessive about doing high-quality work.
– Preference for working in a fast-paced start-up environment and being part of a fun, energetic team.
– Passionate about improving the world through one’s work.
– Knowledge and experience working in a startup, technology company, and/or international field research a plus.
– Experience with WordPress and MailChimp is a plus.
The salary range is $40,000 to $70,000 plus benefits packages, including health insurance and 401(k). The specifics will depend on the applicant’s level of prior experience.