- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Arifu is looking for a visionary CTO to lead our technology design and growth strategy as we move from early stage to global market leader impacting millions of lives with access to mobile education. This is a full-time position with equity participation based at Arifu’s HQ: Johnathan Court, Annex C, Ngong Road, Nairobi, Kenya.
As core leadership, the CTO will work closely with the COO, CLO, and CEO. He or she will have the following responsibilities:
– Develop a clear vision, objectives, and implementation strategy for the technology product of Arifu;
– Attract, structure, lead, and inspire a high performing and ever-growing team of engineers, product managers,data scientists, algorithm developers, statisticians, system admins, dreamers, and designers;
– Oversee the design, development, and deployment of a highly profitable and impactful learning platform in key expansion markets initially across Africa and then to Asia and Latin America;
– Guide near term builds including the Arifu Android app, IVR app, advertising and licensing exchange, adaptive learning engine, predictive analytics, and partner API;
– Publish technical white papers on the impact of our innovations and generate patent applications as appropriate;
– Contribute thought leadership with industry executives at the organizations that Arifu works with across financial services, agriculture, consumer goods, energy, health, and telecommunications;
– Lead an ambitious research agenda to put Arifu at the forefront of the application of artificial intelligence, mobile technology, remote sensing, and behavioral science to revolutionize poverty reduction;
– Maintaining strong project management capabilities with planning, communicating, documenting, and tracking milestones and results;
– Active participation in community events, trade meetups, and industry workshops in Nairobi and globally.
For this role, we’re looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
– 10+ years of professional experience in the software industry with at least 5 years in a leadership capacity;
– Master degree preferred but not required;
– Has a clear vision for and desire to shape the future of education, commerce, and poverty reduction and an intimate understanding of the role that artificial intelligence, mobile technology, remote sensing, and behavioral science will play in revolutionizing them;
– Passion to use your skills to bring quality products and services to underserved communities;
– Demonstrated ability to attract, structure, lead, and inspire a high performing and dynamic technology department;
– Working technical knowledge in all areas relevant to the Arifu product: MVC, PHP, Java, MySQL, Android, Python, R, AWS, Bitbucket, CSS, SMS, IVR, HTML5, and Laravel;
– Adept with East African cultural norms and their implications for technology design and business strategy decisions;
– Fluency in English required and fluency in Swahili preferred;
– Humility to know what you can improve on, openness to give and receive constructive feedback, and the drive to invest in continued learning as you pursue mastery;
– Resourceful and pro-active when generating solutions to the problems that stand in your way;
– Commitment to consistently deliver high quality work on time;
– Ability to handle the chaos of a fast-paced startup work culture and a willingness to take on additional tasks and support the work of other team members as necessary to achieve collective goals;
– Must be willing to be based in Nairobi and travel up to 20%.
Compensation and Benefits:
Your salary will be competitive and based on experience. Every Arifu team member becomes a part owner of the company after their first year through participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan. Flexible holidays. Sponsorship for international hires. Most importantly, you’ll have unlimited ping pong and foosball while at Arifu HQ!
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CTO\” in the subject, tell us what excites you about this role, and include at least one sample of your work so we can see the quality of your craft.
A first of its kind, Arifu is a digital advisor helping the world’s least served people access the information they need to achieve their goals one conversation at a time. It’s available any time of day over any mobile phone. No internet, airtime or training required. Since launching in March 2015, over 75,000 Kenyans and Tanzanians have turned to Arifu to learn essential skills and access the high-impact products and services offered by our partners. Working closely with these leading organizations, we’ve been able to achieve some impressive early results for our learners including helping them double their savings, access more capital, improve their productivity, and grow their income.